- Veggie omelette without cheese (ask for extra veggies and add more flavor with salsa)
- Poached or soft-boiled eggs with Canadian bacon or ham and unbuttered whole grain or rye toast
- Oatmeal with non-fat milk, raisins and a side of fruit
- Whole grain cereal with non-fat milk, a side of fruit and 1 egg
- Look for a “healthy” or “light” section but still practice portion control
- Make your own omelette! Ask for all egg whites, 2 egg whites and one whole egg or egg substitute.
- Take advantage of à la carte items and avoid platters of food. Build your own breakfast with items like whole grain toast, hot or cold cereal, ham, eggs or fruit. Aim for at least 3 food groups (making one a fruit or veggie). à la carte also makes portion control easier for fatty breakfast meats.
- Ask that scrambled eggs are cooked “dry.”
- Substitute fruit, cottage cheese or tomato slices in place of hashbrowns or fatty meats.
- Keep pancake and waffle orders small (1 or two depending on the size) and skip the butter. Ask if low-cal syrup is available or choose fresh fruit for a topping!
- Don’t be fooled by bran muffins. Most are gigantic and are made with too much sugar and oil.