- Miso Soup
- Su-udon (noodle soup)
- Veggie or Shrimp kabobs
- Steamed edamame (green soy beans)
- Steamed rice
- Domburi (rice, veggie and meat or poultry bowl)
- Sashimi (raw fish)
- Soba noodles with chicken or shellfish and veggies
- Shrimp or chicken Sukiyaki (meat and veggie dish)
- Sushi rolls with raw fish and/or veggies (wrapped in rice and/or seaweed)
- Bean curd or tofu (not fried)
- Teriyaki chicken
- Shabu-Shabu (thinly sliced lean beef and veggies)
- Cue words for less fat: nimono (simmered), yaki (broiled), yaki-mono (grilled)
- Ask about healthy alternatives such as brown rice.
- Fill up on fiber rich edamame or a side salad before dinner. Sushi rolls can add up!
- Tempura, agemono and katsu are fancy names for fried.
- Skip sushi rolls that are made with creamy sauces or mayo. If you’re not sure, ask.
- Keep in mind that miso, soy sauce and teriyaki sauce are high in sodium.