In theory, going to the gym sounds like a great plan. Maybe you will hop on a treadmill or take a step class to burn some calories. Or perhaps you plan to pick up some free weights and firm up your biceps. Either way, it may seem like you have a fool proof plan once you enter the gym. However, it is getting into the gym that is often the problem. You may get lazy and start to wonder, how are you possibly going to motivate yourself to get started?
No matter how lazy youíve been, these are five tips will help you get to the gym:
1) Get a workout buddy. Nothing motivates you more than having someone elseís support and encouragement. Plus, you donít want to disappoint your buddy by not showing up for your workout.
2) Make a realistic gym schedule. If you know that you feel tired after work, try and fit in a morning workout instead. Do not create a workout plan that does not work for your lifestyle.
(Tip continues below)
3) Try to find a gym that is close to your home or work. By not having to go out of your way, you are more likely to go. If you do not have a gym near by, find the closest running track or walking route that is convenient for you.
4) Try something new! Take a class that interests you. For example, a rock climbing course can be fun and a great workout for your entire body. Workouts are not limited to gym equipment.
5) Set a side a reward day at the end of the week. If you follow through with your weekly workout schedule, give yourself some positive reinforcement. Try rewarding yourself in hours. If you succeed with your weekly goals allow yourself one extra hour of sleep, or an hour of shopping on the weekend.
Even though these tips may help, it is still up to you to push yourself to be committed to being fit.