It’s time to head outdoors and have fun! Whether you are heading out to the lake or beach, or to a picnic or evening of fireworks, chances are you’re bringing a cooler full of goodies with you! So, we’ve put together some healthy foods you can stash in your cooler.
Healthy “Cooler” Packing
- Sandwiches: Pack sliced lean deli meat and cheese in zip lock baggies with all of fixings in another baggie or container and whole wheat bread. Or, pack pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
- Pitas or Wraps: Pack whole wheat pita bread with hummus, cucumber and tomato slices. Or, try high fiber tortillas spread with light cream cheese and rolled up with lean deli meat and spinach.
(Tip continues below)
- Nutritious Nibbles: Yogurt, low-fat string cheese, whole wheat crackers and fruit.
- Make a “Rabbit Bag”: Fill zip lock baggies with carrot sticks, celery sticks, red bell pepper slices, jicama sticks, apple slices and orange segments.
- Make your own snack mix: Combine air popped popcorn, Wheat Chex cereal, pretzel sticks, peanuts or almonds and dried cranberries or apricots. Place into small zip lock baggies.