Grilling is generally a low-fat method of cooking, but fat and salt can sneak in if we’re not careful. We’ve put together a list of healthy and tasty swaps that you can bring to the grill and the table.
1) Swap 4 ounces extra lean ground beef or 4 ounces lean ground turkey breast for regular hamburger and save 152 calories and 14 grams of fat!
2) Swap 1 turkey dog or veggie dog for a regular hot dog and save 80-100 calories and 9-16 grams of fat!
3) Use low-sodium marinade such as Mrs. Dash – these flavorful blends are salt-free and low fat. Use 2 tablespoons of Mrs. Dash Mesquite Grill and save 700 mg of sodium!
(Tip continues below)
4) Add veggies to the grill! Grilled vegetables make a wonderful side dish and their sweet and smoky flavor make them hard to resist. Put them right on the grill or buy a grill basket for easy cooking and clean up. No need to drown them in oil, just brush them with a touch of olive oil, spritz with lemon juice and sprinkle with garlic, herbs and pepper! For a beautiful arrangement, try zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, eggplant and mushrooms.
5) Grill fruit! Grilled fruit is a nice change of pace from regular fruit salad! Throw some pineapple slices, bananas, peaches and nectarines on the grill and toss with honey, lemon juice and chopped mint. Delicious!
6) Skip the pre-made, store-bought garlic bread. 1 slice has 170 calories, 7 g fat (2.5 g saturated fat and 2 g trans fat). Make your own using whole wheat (if available) loaf bread, a thin smear of light, trans-free spread, chopped garlic and parsley and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Yum!