Here are 5 fun ideas to keep you and your family healthy during October:
1) See the colors change on a nature walk or hike. Get up-close and personal with the sights, sounds, and fresh air of the great outdoors. Check out your closest state parks which usually have several different trails and levels of difficulty. Hiking can burn a lot of calories depending on the intensity of the course. Make sure to bring plenty of water and a few energy-boosting snacks like trail mix or fruit to keep you going. Also, dress in layers so you’re prepared for changing temperatures!
2) Go picking for seasonal fruit! October is the perfect time for apple-picking with the whole family! Many orchards host apple-picking for visitors. Check with the orchard for their hours and whether or not you need to provide your own apple-picking bags. Not only do you burn calories as you walk around looking for the perfect apple, but you also get to enjoy a healthy snack. One medium apple contains about 80 calories and loads of fiber!
3) Turn raking into a family event. Raking leaves doesn't have to be a chore if your whole family joins in. Best of all, after an hour of raking and bagging, you'll have burned about 160 calories, in addition to having a nice, clean yard. Before you bag that Fall foliage, join your children in a fun jump or two (or three) into a big pile of leaves!
(Tip continues below)
4) Sign up for charity walks and runs. As we approach holiday season, many non-profit organizations host different events to raise money. Support a good cause and get active outside by participating in a walk or run in your neighborhood. Invite a few friends to join you. You'll help each other stay motivated and burn calories, too!
5) Carve pumpkin into your diet! Get into the Halloween spirit by carving a pumpkin with your family and enjoying different pumpkin dishes! Pumpkin is October's nutrition superstar. Low in fat and calories, it also contains a lot of beta-carotene or Vitamin A which can help protect your body from heart disease. One cup of raw pumpkin contains just 30 calories. Check out Diet.com's Recipe section for great ideas for adding pumpkin to your diet.
Get into the spirit of the Autumn season. October is the perfect time to get outside, breathe in the crisp Fall air, and burn calories in plenty of family-friendly activities!