Summer is a time full of food, fun, barbecues, warm weather and enjoying the best time of year for fruits and vegetables. The summer has so many types of fruits and vegetables in season that it's easy to make sure you're getting your daily recommended allotment.
Here is a list of just a few of the many fruits and vegetables that are in season right now:
All kinds of berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
Citrus fruits (limes, lemons)
Melons (watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe)
Here are some you may not have known are in season:
Check your local farmers markets and farm stands for additional fruits and veggies that are in season. Not only are you getting them super fresh but you’re supporting your local farmers!
Here are some ideas on ways to incorporate these fruits and vegetables into your diet:
- Try new fruits in a fruit salad
- Make fruit kabobs with dipping sauce made from Greek yogurt
- Try grilling fruits on the grill
- Try different salads using different kinds of greens, different kinds of veggies and try adding fruit in the mix
- Try a cucumber and tomato salad
- Saute sugar snap peas with mint
- Cook corn on the cob on the grill
- Grilled veggie kabobs
- Try a gazpacho
- Tomato mozzarella salad
- Or try alternatives to pasta salad such as using barley or whole wheat cous cous with any veggies you like
Be sure to take advantage of this great time of year to focus on increasing your fruit and vegetable intake. Not only will this help with your diet and weight loss goals, but you'll also be increasing the overall health of you and your family's diet.
Want personalized diet and nutrition advice from Meghan, our Diet.com Registered Dietitian? Upgrade your Diet.com account to Premium to have unlimited, one-on-one consultations with her!