Happy Holidays! Christmas is a great holiday to enjoy good company and good food. If you're on a diet, there can be other emotions that come along with all that good food. The thing to remember is you don't have to be perfect with your diet every day, as long as you still try and eat well balanced meals and watch portion control you can enjoy those Christmas goodies without doing any harm to all the work you've put into losing weight.
Here are a few survival tips to keep you on track during the holiday season.
- If holiday cookies are part of your tradition, try planning a cookie swap or making cookies as gifts so they're not all hanging around the house for you to consume. Baked goods make great personal gifts and allow you to share the calories of your concoctions. :)
- Stuff those stockings with non-food items or fruit like clementines to keep candies and other caloric foods out of the house. Use the stocking for things like razors and notepads or fill them with clementines or nuts, like pistachios to keep those stocking low calorie.
- Use your time off to exercise, get out and enjoy the fresh air (just make sure you have layers so you're not freezing!)
- Offer to bring veggies or another healthy dish to an event so you know there's at least one safe option to fall back on after you've indulged.
- Don't skip meals to save up your calories, it doesn't work that way. Make sure you drink lots of water and eat balanced meals leading up to a party to make sure you don't go there starving and consume more than you need within a few hours.
- Try lower calorie entrees, sides and desserts for the family to try and make them your new traditional food choices during the holidays. Try different kinds of sides like brussel sprouts or or spaghetti squash to mix things up.
Most of all, enjoy the time with your family, with our lives so busy, it's important to take time to spend quality time with the ones you love.
Enjoy your holidays everyone!
Want personalized diet and nutrition advice from Meghan, our Diet.com Registered Dietitian? Upgrade your Diet.com account to Premium to have unlimited, one-on-one consultations with her!