by Danielle Prestejohn
, Fitness and Nutrition Expert
I've mentioned on my blog before about my love of Applegate Farms Southwestern Chicken. Well in an effort to recreate it for all my vegetarian friends I thought I would come up with a Southwestern inspired dish, still packed with protein.
I've been loving quinoa lately as an extra protein boost to my meals. Little fun fact: It is the only grain that is actually a complete protein. Also it is 100% gluten free. Winner in my book! Here's what you'll need...
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups gluten free low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can organic black beans
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Red pepper flakes to taste
Makes 4 servings
What's your favorite vegetarian recipe?
- In a saucepan bring the dry quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil.
- Once it begins to boil, set your heat to low, cover and cook about 20 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, dice your bell peppers and saute them in a skillet over medium-low heat until tender.
- Once the quinoa has cooked fluff with a fork and return to the low heat.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, cooked peppers, and rinsed black beans, mix together and simmer over low heat.
- Add in your seasonings and let simmer until warm and ready to serve.