Gyms are CRAZY right now - I know. Everyone is taking up the machines, and they are trying to achieve the same thing as you: their New Year's resolutions! It will die down a little soon, but the next wave will be spring vacations. After that will be summer. Don't avoid the gym totally because of the crowds! I have some suggestions.
Here are my top 5 tips for staying motivated in the packed gyms...
1. If all cardio machines are full, grab a jump rope and wait for one to open instead of standing there. Or if you feel silly, grab a physio ball and do sit-ups on it, or ball wall squats.
2. If there's no way the cardio machines will open, set up a step and do some plyometrics!! Do them in a corner of the gym and switch up your workout between the step and strength training. Believe me - it burns way more calories than avoiding the gym or standing for 20 minutes waiting.
3. Try the morning! I know, I know - it's too early. If you know you don't want to go late at night with everyone else, then the morning or your lunch break is your solution. It will still be busy, but not as bad!
4. Every week, do two workouts at the gym and your other two or three at home. Invest in a physioball (exercise ball) and weights! Check out some of Diet.com's fitness articles or fitness videos!
5. Don't use the crowds as an excuse! This is my biggest tip. When I do this I only feel worse when I go home and didn't get to relieve my stress at the gym. Try to find a partner to motivate you to go into the crowded gym and have fun. Do whatever you can to motivate yourself, just don't get discouraged.
Katrina Hodgson, ToneItUp.com.NASM CPT, BS Health Science, has helped thousands reach their goals by designing fitness programs with her workout videos and her website ToneItUp.com. As one of Diet.com's featured personal trainers she hopes to share her passion for fitness and continue to make a positive impact for the Diet.com community.