This is Lady Diet - the fit, fun and fabulous host of Diet.com's weekly Diet & Fitness Podcast!
Itâ€™s that zany time of spring again, folks. And Cinco de Mayo is upon us! And you know what that means: tequila, limes, huge sombreros, nachos and multi-colored woven ponchos. If you thought you had to abandon your diet in order to enjoy everyoneâ€™s favorite Americanized Mexican holiday, wellâ€¦think again.
This week Iâ€™m serving up cinco great ways to celebrate a sizzlinâ€™ yet diet-safe fiesta!
1. Margaritas. Bet you didnâ€™t think Iâ€™d start off my healthy list with an alcoholic beverage. But who could have a proper Cinco de Mayo without some tequila and margaritas? Tequila itself wonâ€™t kill you on calories; itâ€™s the mixers that can kill your diet. Be sure to use a mixer thatâ€™s naturally sweetened rather than some syrup-heavy alternative!
2. Nachos. Your favorite nachos are usually drowning in cheese, right? Well that obviously wonâ€™t help you survive your healthy Cinco celebration. But Diet.comâ€™s got a great recipe for healthy nachos that wonâ€™t ruin your diet. Baked tortilla chips with low-fat mozzarella cheese, lots of beans and veggies, and a scoop of fat-free sour cream are a plateful of pleasure! Spice it up with some jalapeno peppers and startle your taste buds into a dance of their own.
3. Fajitas. Itâ€™s a myth that all Mexican food is fattening and bad for you. You can enjoy the spirit of Mexico without crushing your calorie intake for the day. A healthy fajita is simply lean, grilled chicken, a little low-fat sour cream, a few brightly colored veggies, and a dollop of guacamole away. Add some fresh salsa and brown rice for extra flavor without the diet detriment.
4. Cerveza, por favor! If you canâ€™t see yourself forgoing the traditional Corona and lime ritual, then donâ€™t. Just make it a Corona Light! Itâ€™ll save you about 40 calories over the full-strength thingâ€¦ and it tastes just as good thanks to the lime wedge!
5. Dance the night away! No party is complete without an element of dance. Show off your moves to some popular songs to help celebrate, while you burn a ton of calories at the same time!
You donâ€™t have to have any Mexican ancestry to partake in a Cinco de Mayo fiesta. Get your party on the healthy way this week and you and your diet will be feeling hotâ€¦ hotâ€¦ hot!!
If you have any comments or suggestions about todayâ€™s podcast or any fun health diet or fitness tip, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is Lady Diet signing off!
Lady Diet records a weekly Diet & Fitness Podcast for diet.com. To get the full experience, you've got to LISTEN:
Lady Diet Celebrates Cinco de Mayo