Halloween, the grandfather of all candy holidays, is right around the corner. I'm sure we are all seeing the huge displays of Halloween candy standing right in the front of the drugstores and grocery store checkouts. I often find myself slowing up "just to look" at the variety of candy they are promoting. And then the thought of guilt starts to creep in...
Many of us would like to use this holiday as an excuse to load up on chocolate and sugar, but as you know it is not in the best interest of our bodies. Why bother working out if you are just going to sabotage yourself later?
Here are some healthier treats that you can enjoy and still keep the kids coming back each year:
1. 100 Calorie Pack Goldfish Crackers â€" Perfect for snacks and kids love these!
2. Packets of Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate â€" Easy and healthier than traditional candy
3. Packs of Sugar-Free Gum â€" Kids love gum... Sugar-free is the way to go
4. 100 Calorie Cookie Packs â€" A great alternative to the traditional Chips Ahoy, Oreos, Lorna Doones, etc.
5. Tootsie Roll Pops â€" There are lots of creative ways to make these festive. My mom used to hand these out every year and we would put a white napkin over the top of them, tie it on with ribbon and draw eyes on the lollipop to make a ghost. Yes, it is sugar, but with only 60 calories it canâ€™t compete with candy bars and the like. Plus they last longer than other candy, so you consume less calories over more time!
Like all of us, kids love sweets. Sugar-free options are always better than the regular candies, so if you still want to hand out candy go for the sugar-free versions. Plus, you won't be inviting any severe temptation into your house!
Have a safe and happy Halloween!