by Katrina Hodgson
, Diet.com Fitness Expert
So I went shopping and I decided to have some fun and to try out some of my own tips so I could skip out on the gym and get in a ton of shopping!
1. I parked farther away so I had to walk... took about 5 minutes.
2. I got hungry but instead of sampling Chinese food around the food court I got a Subway sandwich... 6 inch turkey on wheat with lettuce, hot peppers, mustard and light on the cheese! I also grabbed a water. It was a difference of 350 calories vs. 700!! That difference is about a 3 mile run!
3. I walked the whole mall and took the stairs instead of the escalators... It was a good mix!
4. I carried all my bags in my hands and not over my shoulder and did walking lunges down the mall... just kidding haha. But I did flex my arms to 90 degrees at some points to work the arms a little more.
5. For every "present" I bought myself (because of the sales!) I had to do 25 sit-ups and push-ups once I got home. Yes, you know the "1 for you, 2 for me" holiday shopping method. They say people spend more on themselves during the holidays... so it worked. I spent less on myself and was very successful at my shopping. I did have to do 25 sit-ups when I got home!!
Katrina Hodgson, NASM CPT, BS Health Science, has helped thousands reach their goals by designing fitness programs with her workout videos and her website ToneItUp.com. As one of Diet.com's featured personal trainers she hopes to share her passion for fitness and continue to make a positive impact for the Diet.com community.