The brilliant folks at NBC made a good move when they converted their hugely successful weight-loss reality TV show, Biggest Loser, into a family affair a few seasons ago. Now you've got brothers and sisters, husbands and wives, mothers and sons and fathers and daughters all teaming up to create new, healthy habits that will (hopefully!) last a lifetime.
What's good about this? EVERYTHING! Accountability and support are two necessities when it comes to losing weight and getting healthy. Your family has all of that built in for you. Having that team to push you through the hard times and help keep you on track can make the difference between success or lack of success.
Plus, now that they are "on board," they can't torture you by dangling Ho Ho's in front of your face!
So, are you and your family members taking a cue from this program? In addition to showing the different styles of two very successful trainers, the show also offers all kinds of tips on how to maximize your workouts, how to strengthen and tone your muscles, and how to eat a better diet - all great things to learn and adopt as a family.
All this from a reality show... LOVE IT! Who knew you could lose weight, get healthy and motivated, and be entertained all in one little reality show. That's what I call efficient and fun!
Whether you have tuned in to the Biggest Loser or not, making HEALTH a family affair is only a few steps away:
1. First... Create your TEAM. And if your family is not inspired to do this with you or you don't have a family, create a different team. Get a few friends together, people with similar goals. Two, three or 10 of you. Whatever works but get that team together today.
2. Then... Set Goals Immediately. First, determine your Start Date. And it should be within a week. Then create your 90-Day Goals. Ninety days gives you enough time to make a serious difference in your health as well as create new, lasting habits. What are your group goals? What are your individual goals? Your goals should be realistic but should still push you.
And, most importantly, don't be attached to your goals like glue. Be committed to working to achieve them but if you lose 20 pounds instead of 30, celebrate! You have achieved success.
3. Finally... Create The Plan. You now need a plan to achieve your goals. What food will you eat, what exercises will you do and how often? This can be overwhelming but don't it be. Get some help. Can you hire a trainer? Maybe, if everyone pitches in, you can hire a trainer to help outline your group workouts and food plan. They can check in with your group once per month to see if any modifications need to be made.
If that is not an option for your team, no worries, use a well-known book or tips you learned from the show to create your action plan.
4. Don't Forget to Make it Fun! Find exercises that are fun and challenging whether it be hiking or roller-blading, or laser tag. Change it up. Create competitions. This is your team so be creative.
5. Create Incentives! What is going to motivate you... keep you going to the very end? Work together as a team to create incentives you are all excited about.
6. Go! Start! Don't let anything get in your way!
Amy Applebaum is the Life Coach behind Bootcamp for Your Mind, a company designed to create life-changing breakthroughs. She holds a BA in Speech and Organizational Communications, and certifications as a Life Coach, Hypnotherapist, and Timeline Therapist. Her e-book, Bootcamp for Your Mind: Six Simple Steps to Solving All Your Problems. Forever. is available online.