Food iedeas     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kello81

Total Posts: 53

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Food iedeas Reply with quote

Any tips on eating healthy and inexpensively? I like buying fruit and veggies, but these can get pricey. Is there any good and healthy food out there that does not go bad in a week? Living on a college budget stinks. Sad
Miss.J

Total Posts: 25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped shopping at the grocery store and started shopping at the local farmers market, instead. It's much cheaper and the money goes directly into the pockets of the producers. I can get bread, meat, veggies, fruit, and dairy there. It's fresh, and I go every week!

When I was in school I lived on ramen. I know it sounds stupid, but I would load my ramen with veggies like bok choy and protein like tofu. Maybe it's cheaper for you to go on the meal plan at school? You should do a comparison budget for each, maybe that will help you maximize your dollars.
Why Weight

Total Posts: 365

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Maialens, farmer's markets are the way to go. Frozen veggies if steamed crisp also are good for you and are fairy cheap. Good Luck!!
DL21Smith

Total Posts: 314

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kelly!

Check out the frozen section at your local store.
Edemame is real good! It's real cheap too! It's a soy bean. I really enjoy it as a fast side dish with dinner or lunch Wink I put it in the microwave on defrost for about 30 secs. (thanks Kristi!!)

I also like the Green Giant veggies in the frozen section. THere are real cheap too! Several different kinds. My fave is called Healthy Weight. It's got cooked carrots, black beans, edemame and green beans in it! I only eat 1/2 serving and refridgerate the rest.

Dana

Don't think you can. KNOW YOU CAN!
stown

Total Posts: 297

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Already Prepared Meals Reply with quote

As for veggies, if the fresh veggies are too expensive you may want to try the frozen veggies. They are great also. Very Happy

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com