Interesting article on weight-loss surgery     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Interesting article on weight-loss surgery Reply with quote

I came across this really powerful article about the emotional and physical aftereffects of weight-loss surgery. I think it's a good read for anyone on this site—it really opens your eyes to what people who chose the surgery face:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/2007-01-17/news/life-after-the-knife/full

After reading this, I can only say that bariatric surgery really should be the choice of last resort. I know for some people it becomes the only option, but wow, it's not the quick-and-easy fix I thought it was!

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
LesMoo

Total Posts: 797

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who undergo bariatric surgery often don't realize that there's so much more to it than just surgery. There was a paragraph of the article that really struck me:

"The surgery, in short, did not appear to solve patients' emotional problems. Yet within the group that hadn't had surgery, weight loss appeared to impart positive psychological impacts. These people, the authors explained, "can attribute their success to their own willpower and determination, while the surgically treated patients achieved their weight loss mainly through technical intervention. Furthermore, the surgery patients are possibly disappointed that they have not lost more weight, and must also grapple with food ingestion." "

I hope that people who are considering this option really think about it!

steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would to point out, that once the surgery is perfomed, that the recipient is a patient forever after that. Follow up care last the patients entire lifetime, there are so conditions associated with the surgery that can effect the quality of life, and follow up care is a necessity. Some of the complications include, malnutrition and overeating/regaining the weight.

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
karen1123

Total Posts: 815

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they find a new addiction after the surgery usually.
People should just eat like they have to eat. What is it a cup of food every three hours?

Karen

Don\'t go out of your weigh to please anyone but yourself.

Katti703

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Weight Loss Surgery Patient Here Reply with quote

If it were so easy to just eat a cup of food every 3 hours....I have been overweight since I was 3 years old and ballooned up to 500lbs. I tried everything known to mankind (and womankind!) but to no avail. I chose surgery becasue it was my last resort if I wanted to live. I have successfully lost 200lbs. to date and haven't had a single complication! Yes, you can easily trade your addiction to food for something else, but I've been in therapy since I had surgery and found it to be immensely helpful with many areas. Imagine not ever remembering what it is like to have shoulder blades (I imagined myself an alien, LOL) or to be able to walk across the street and not be out of breath, to look normal (no one staring!) to go to dinner at a restauant and order a cup of soup that makes me full (it took a full dinner, dessert and many sodas before). Pre-surgery you have about a 2 liter size stomach so it's pretty hard to keep that size stomach full! Contrary to popular belief, your stomach does not shrink back if you diet. I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat even if I had complications or even died. At least I would die trying.

Kathy
Breezy999

Total Posts: 503

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Kathy on taking control of your life. I'm sure making the decision to have the surgery was a difficult one. I admire the fact that you did what you felt you had to to save your life. It sounds like this has been a great success for you!
Gastrointestinal bypass is such a serious event and life saving for people like you Kathy, but it really bothers me when someone who is only a few pounds over weight starts saying how they need the surgery to lose the weight! It is a major surgery and as you said, you have been in therapy to deal with all the other issues in your life as well.
I feel it cheapens successes like yours when some poeple want to use such a serious event for their few pounds...
Congratulations again, and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
LLiB

Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand that bariatric surgery is necessary for some people, Kathy. Please don't take my posting that article as being completely scornful of people who do genuinely need surgical intervention. I know that bariatric surgery saves lives.

I wanted to put the link up as a reminder to some people. We have folks who come on the site and start talking about the surgery when they're not really considering the risks or may not really fit the profile of someone who needs to have the surgery done (not dangerously obese, haven't tried other options, etc.). It's life-saving, but it's risky, and I worry sometimes about those who see it as a quick fix. Surgery is a last resort—sometimes last resorts are necessary, though.

I admire the courage of people who fight against extreme obesity. It's a whole other category of weight loss and health issues that I think many of us will never understand. Your triumph is truly worth celebrating.

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. There are some amazing success stories out there. I'd love to hear more of yours. Keep up the hard work. I know it's not easy!

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
Katti703

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: No scorn taken :) Reply with quote

No scorn taken here Smile I understand the worry about those who really don't think about just what they are doing and how much really does into Post Op lifestyle. Taking the weight off is just one problem solved, and there are LOTS more to tackle afterwards. I see everyday those who cannot even explain what they have had done to themselves and it scares me do death! In the very least you should be able to explain what your new plumbing is like to a doctor in case of an emergency (No blind NG tubes here!). I carry a card with a picture of my inside anatomy as well as my surgeons card so that he can be contacted if neccesary. My husband doesn't exactly know what my insides are like, but he knows about that card in my wallet! Your self care after surgery is most important. You have to be totally committed to taking vitamins for the rest of your life, eating enough protein daily, and making sure you do daily exercise so that you do not regain your weight. ANY surgery can be beat by drinking your calories. (milkshakes, Starbucks, soft carbohydrates) I would only suggest that one read, educate and talk to those who have had bariatric surgery and to understand just what goes into the whole process. There are more than 10 versions of bariatric surgery that most don't even know about. They just take the RNY and go with it because it's easy to get approved though some insurance companies. I fought for a year and a half and got the surgery that was right for ME. I'm gonna get off my soapbox now but with one referral to a great website: Obesityhelp.com. Fantastic website for all stages of weight loss, surgery, plastic surgery.

Have a great day,
Kathy
shiningonme

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit-I am seriously considering the surgery. I do have an appt with 3 different drs within a 3 hour range from me. I have been reading everything I could find on the RNY, and I have spent alot of time on obesityhelp.com reading and learning. I also bought the book WLS for dummies- and it is like my bible....I have about 250 lbs to lose, and I am 38 years old. I have a 4 and a 5 year old who need me....

2 weeks ago, I began a healthy diet, figuring that the surgery would go safer and easier for me if I lost some weight even before going in to see the drs, and using the nutritionist for the dr I ultimately choose. In the last 2 weeks, I have found myself doing so well, and being completely content eating the foods I have been eating. I have been treating myself to exotic fruits and veges that I never had tried in the past-because why spend 6.00 on spring mix lettuce thats already washed in a special container when I could cut up my own....Well-I am worth it, thats why. I am also purchasing a 1000.00 piece of exercise equipment-because if I joined a health club I wouldnt feel comfortable going and exercising with a bunch of strangers...and-it is tough for me to get out of the house without the kids....so again-I am worth it. So...although I am keeping the appointments with the 3 doctors just so I will be prepared if the time comes when I feel that I need to do it-right now, I have decided to give myself a chance with this new way of life. Instead of dieting, I am just eating heathier better foods. And I am not weighing myself at all. In the last 2 weeks, I see a difference in the way I am climbing stairs, and I am breathing a bit easier when walking. Thats all I need to keep me going. I am finally starting to feel better after being in pain and miserable for years.

Yes, I have tried every diet one can imagine in the last 26 years (including being on dr issued diet pills at the age of 12). I have lost 100 lbs more times then I care to think about it only to gain the 100 lbs back-plus some....

I know this post became awfully long-I didnt intend for that to happen...once I started typing, it all just came out....
Yes-the weight loss surgeries are meant for people like me. They arent for everyone, and I too feel that many people go into it without really knowing what they are getting into....

ready_to_soar

Total Posts: 148

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiningonme,
You are doing great! Best wishes!

shiningonme

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com