New here, need help!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 100 Pounds and More to Lose
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catluvr

Total Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: New here, need help! Reply with quote

Hello

I have been on again/off again the weight loss bandwagon, as I am sure many of you have. I am looking at the premium program here, as I want a sensible, nutritious program that is not gimmicks, and this program seems to fit the bill. Also, it gets high reviews.

I have a few concerns, however. The main reasons I fail at diets are because I am hungry all the time from lack of calories - I am 270 and most weight loss programs have me at 1500 calories a day. I stick with it for a while, then I binge and quit. Also, I need flexibility in a diet, as I am on the road most of the day for work, and cannot always eat a sack lunch - many days it is the nearest drive thru!

So, is this diet one that addresses these concerns? Does it tailor the calories based on weight? Does it have dining out options? I am out of ideas....I know I need to lose my weight - I have about 130lbs to lose... but I need help!

Robin
ptypopsicl

Total Posts: 576

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of dining out options but I'll be honest, I don't usually stick with them--- I dine out a LOT because I travel very frequently for work. No refrigerators in hotels! And I personally find it a lot easier to just hit a Subway and get a small sub for dinner than to seek out some of the other options. That's just me. You might have different needs when you're out on the road. One of the big benefits to a premium membership is the Rate My Plate forum, where there's a thread for RDShauna to review menus from your favorite restaurants and help guide you to healthier choices. And that alone was worth the membership price to me--- because she taught me to think for myself while I am travelling.

For your 1500 calories, are you tracking your choices for a week or two? It is very easy to over-estimate or under-estimate how many calories you are taking in, so using the trackers will help you know for sure what you are putting into your body. And you can definitely feel satisfied on 1500 calories if you put your mind to it. It has to do with where you choose to get those calories from.

One of my favorite lunches is 2 large fresh tomatoes and a large cucumber, sliced up and dressed with light sour cream, lemon juice and dried dill. It's delicious and a huge, filling bowl of food but also less than 200 calories.

Being creative, and seeing your calories as a budget, really helps. 1500 calories may be just a cheesesteak and fries, or it could be a healthy breakfast, a big lunch as I described above, a banana snack, and a nice chicken stir-fry for dinner.
webfoot

Total Posts: 20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much sour cream do you put on it ptypopsicl ? That sounds nice.
We've got more tomatoes than I know what to do with in our vegie patch at the moment, and zucchinis and cucumbers too! There is only so much soup you can make ! Friends have said my roasted red tomato soup (from home grown tomatoes) is the nicest soup the've ever had though so maybe I'll make another batch up of that.
I do have a weakness for sour cream though so I better be careful if I try your idea Smile
seeya
Cath
honeybear1461

Total Posts: 148

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Robin, I so know where you are coming from. I am about your weight and I have dropped to under 1000 calories, I am slowly but surely losing the weight but am hungry often.

I was watching a show on TV last night, it was Oprah with some doctor on weight loss. His suggestion was that if you are set a certain amount of calories but you think you are constantly hungry at that level then to cut the amount down by a small amount. eg, If you are now eating 2000 calories and should be on 1500 then don't necessarily go straight to the 1500 but cut back to 1800, then when you have been there for a week or two drop another 200 calories off it until you are at the amount you should be having. That way you aren't making a drastic change in the amount you are eating but YOU are still controlling what you are eating and knowing how much is going in your mouth at the end of the day.

The only thing in doing this is you may not lose a great deal of weight in a rapid way so hopefully you won't get disheartened with that.

As for eating on the run I generally have fruit with me, apples generally and also if I am out I simply order from the salad bar. I have never been a big one for dressings so the plainer the better for me.

ptypopsicl your lunch is pretty much what I would be eating, only I add HEAPS of lettuce too. I love sour cream and your dressing sounds yummy so even though I am not a big dressing person I will be trying this out.

Jennylee

tigersi

Total Posts: 770

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybear, under 1000 calories is really low! Shocked In fact, you may see better weight loss if you increase your calorie intake by a couple hundred per day. That way your body won't go into starvation mode and stock pile everything you eat. Ladies, you have to eat to loose weght!!

Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

THOMAS ALVA EDISON
CaptainCabo

Total Posts: 151

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybear1461 wrote:
Hello Robin, I so know where you are coming from. I am about your weight and I have dropped to under 1000 calories, I am slowly but surely losing the weight but am hungry often.

I was watching a show on TV last night, it was Oprah with some doctor on weight loss. His suggestion was that if you are set a certain amount of calories but you think you are constantly hungry at that level then to cut the amount down by a small amount. eg, If you are now eating 2000 calories and should be on 1500 then don't necessarily go straight to the 1500 but cut back to 1800, then when you have been there for a week or two drop another 200 calories off it until you are at the amount you should be having. That way you aren't making a drastic change in the amount you are eating but YOU are still controlling what you are eating and knowing how much is going in your mouth at the end of the day.

The only thing in doing this is you may not lose a great deal of weight in a rapid way so hopefully you won't get disheartened with that.

As for eating on the run I generally have fruit with me, apples generally and also if I am out I simply order from the salad bar. I have never been a big one for dressings so the plainer the better for me.

ptypopsicl your lunch is pretty much what I would be eating, only I add HEAPS of lettuce too. I love sour cream and your dressing sounds yummy so even though I am not a big dressing person I will be trying this out.

Jennylee

Oh my.....your diet is not very sound. In fact, I don't think it is healthy at all. Your caloric intake is way too low.....too low that a doctor won't ever advice anyone to eat less than 1000 calories per day. People who eat so little mistake that weight loss as fat. But in fact, you lose some fat but you will also lose valuable lean muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Your diet is not very balanced, please....dieting doesn't mean you have to eat like a rabbit. Eat high complex carbohydrates and lean protein. Protein is important so you can maintain the muscle you have. Eating 4-6 times a day is the healthy way to do it. I recommend eating 5 times a day...a healthy breakfast, small healthy snack, a healthy serving of lunch, small healthy snack and a sensible healthy dinner. If you a late nite snack, fine...a small healthy snack. The trick is...eating this way will keep your metabolism moving. Eating so little and so few times will only make your metabolism slow down. It is a natural bodily defense, you see when your body is being deprived of food, your body's natural defense mechanism is too slow down the metabolism. Slowing down the metabolism is a defeating purpose if you are on a weigh loss program. I've learned that losing close to 100 lbs that eating frequently is the healthy way to elevate and maintain a strong metabolism. I don't know if you are on an exercise program, but I am gonna recommend anyway that you do cardio and strength training. Eating clean healthy foods and a smart exercise program you will lose the weight and get healthy and fit. So please, evaluate and restructure your diet....it is not healthy.
honeybear1461

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the calorie intake is low I do eat a good and balanced diet I feel.

For breakfast I have a slice of toast with cheese and tomato.

Lunch generally salad....cucumber, tomato, lettuce, beetroot
meat....generally ham or chicken

Dinner is either salad if it is hot or vegies. My plate has a range of vegies on it.....always potato, beans, corn, carrots and then often broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.

Snacks are generally apples, peaches, nectarines, grapes.....usually between 1-3 serves of these.

I also sometimes add yoghurt for a desert or have it with fruit for lunch instead of the salad. I do realise that my diet is lacking in dairy products but other than that I feel it is fairly well balanced.

The only thing I have done differently from before is cut back on my bread AND cut out any added fat, so no butter on my slice of multigrain bread in the morning. Sad I always had a salad sandwich before for lunch, now I just have the salad with meat or cheese. If I don't have meat at lunch I generally do at dinner time.

I have pasta for about 2 evening meals per week with a little meat and vegies in it, no fat, no sauces.

I just don't know what else to do. Since dieting I have actually added breakfast to my day, I hate breakfast as I get MASSIVE headaches by about 10 am and my stomach is rumbling wanting food. Sad If I eat more I will gain more weight and at 300 + pounds that is the last thing I need to do.

Jennylee

Jennylee

honeybear1461

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I had posted a reply a few days ago but somehow it is not here. Sad

I have been able to manage to stay under the 1000 calories but in doing so I am still including all the things you need for a balanced diet. My only downfall I feel is that I don't eat enough dairy, which I should since my bone density has declined in the past 3 years.

My diet consists of:

Breakfast, (which I never used to eat cos I get REALLY hungry within an hour of eating it and get headaches but I am eating now). 1 toast with low fat cheese and tomato

Lunch, salad...tomato, cucumber, beetroot, lettuce (lots of), carrot and sometimes celery if I have it, plus I have either ham, cheese or chicken with it.

Dinner, salad again (it is hot here, over 100F lately) OR vegies, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beans, corn, pumpkin and potato.

At dinner time sometimes I have meat again (chicken or red meat) but not always BUT my plate will have ALL of the above vegies on it if I don't have any meat.

One of my favourite meals is a potato in the jacket (done in microwave) with cheese, beetroot, and coleslaw, with a low fat dressing.

If I feel hungry between meals I fill up on water, so am getting my water intake, over 8 glasses per day, and I have a piece of fruit generally apples, peaches, nectarines and grapes at the moment. I end up with 2-3 pieces of fruit per day.

About twice a week I have a pasta meal, but it has no added fat and is a tomato based sauce.

So even though the calorie intake is under the 1000 mark I have most of the things included in the diet pyramid.

The main thing I have changed since dieting is: I now have breakfast. I don't have bread with my lunch (it used to be salad sandwich or roll, now just the salad), I don't have any butter any more so have cut my fat intake dramatically. Dinner is the same.

Jennylee

lifematters

Total Posts: 796

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be straight up with you. You are going to be sorry. I think some of the things Captain Cabo has already said bears repeating. Your body is going to interpret the low calories as being danger of starvation/not getting enough food and your metabolism WILL slow down. Not "might" slow down, "will" slow down. Your body will become more efficient at STORAGE to prepare for starvation.

If you don't believe it from us, do your own research. Learn from the mistakes of others, including me! I'm finally doing it right and having success. Don't waste your time and cost yourself more years of being overweight. I wish someone had told me these things years ago. I like to think that I would've listened.

"Life has to be a little nuts sometimes. Otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together." Burroughs
SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, Lifematters!

Mindle

ptypopsicl

Total Posts: 576

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webfoot wrote:
How much sour cream do you put on it ptypopsicl ? That sounds nice.
We've got more tomatoes than I know what to do with in our vegie patch at the moment, and zucchinis and cucumbers too! There is only so much soup you can make ! Friends have said my roasted red tomato soup (from home grown tomatoes) is the nicest soup the've ever had though so maybe I'll make another batch up of that.
I do have a weakness for sour cream though so I better be careful if I try your idea Smile
seeya
Cath

I use the light sour cream because I just don't like the texture of the fat-free, and I use about a tablespoon and a half. I usually thin the sour cream with water so that it's liquidy like dressing, instead of thick like it normally comes. I don't have the container right now but I think its around 40 calories/tbsp.
CaptainCabo

Total Posts: 151

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybear1461 wrote:
Hi Guys, I had posted a reply a few days ago but somehow it is not here. Sad

I have been able to manage to stay under the 1000 calories but in doing so I am still including all the things you need for a balanced diet. My only downfall I feel is that I don't eat enough dairy, which I should since my bone density has declined in the past 3 years.

My diet consists of:

Breakfast, (which I never used to eat cos I get REALLY hungry within an hour of eating it and get headaches but I am eating now). 1 toast with low fat cheese and tomato

Lunch, salad...tomato, cucumber, beetroot, lettuce (lots of), carrot and sometimes celery if I have it, plus I have either ham, cheese or chicken with it.

Dinner, salad again (it is hot here, over 100F lately) OR vegies, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beans, corn, pumpkin and potato.

At dinner time sometimes I have meat again (chicken or red meat) but not always BUT my plate will have ALL of the above vegies on it if I don't have any meat.

One of my favourite meals is a potato in the jacket (done in microwave) with cheese, beetroot, and coleslaw, with a low fat dressing.

If I feel hungry between meals I fill up on water, so am getting my water intake, over 8 glasses per day, and I have a piece of fruit generally apples, peaches, nectarines and grapes at the moment. I end up with 2-3 pieces of fruit per day.

About twice a week I have a pasta meal, but it has no added fat and is a tomato based sauce.

So even though the calorie intake is under the 1000 mark I have most of the things included in the diet pyramid.

The main thing I have changed since dieting is: I now have breakfast. I don't have bread with my lunch (it used to be salad sandwich or roll, now just the salad), I don't have any butter any more so have cut my fat intake dramatically. Dinner is the same.

Jennylee

Although your diet may sound sensible, I just wonder the size of the portion. Also what exercise program are you on? I need more imfo on that especially....is it light exercise or intense? If you have some doubts of our advice to you (Lifematters and myself), please see a dietician. He/she will evaluate your diet and I'm willing to bet they won't like the low caloric intake you are doing. Trust us...it is way too low. This will also affect your hormones as well.....so take heed please.
honeybear1461

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

I have taken note of everything that everyone has said. I do know that the level was low but in my head when I was gaining on about 2,000 calories and only maintaining my HEFTY 300 + pounds on the 1,500 I don't see that I have an option.

I spoke to a dietitian on Wednesday afternoon who basically said what you guys have said, that under 1,000 is too low. BUT then when I got into things with her she said "Generally I would not recommend going under between 1,000 - 1,200 calories" but she was fine so long as it was between these values and NOT UNDER the 1,000. She also told me that although I am eating the healthy foods my BIGGEST downfall is that even when I was on the 1,500 plus diet I was not having enough protein. She continued to tell me that I should have a minimum of 500 gms (1 pound) of protein per day and I don't have that. With at least that amount of protein I will then get my metabolism activated daily. She did praise the fact that I have actually been eating breakfast over the past month or so, I really haven't eaten breakfast since I was about 8 years old on a regular basis, I have always only eaten two "good" sized meals a day.

She has also said that my metabolic rate is about 2,000 which means that for my weight I should be using that many calories while I am simply at rest. I told her "When do you get to rest with 3 kids, a husband, a 92 year old grandmother (I am primary carer for) and a job where you are standing the whole time??"

For the moment what she has recommended is that I start on multivitamins, increase my protein to 500 gms per day and where I can try to add some weight bearing exercise. At the moment I don't add any "exercise" to my day as it seems so full anyway. I have severe arthritis in my knees and also a spinal disease which can limit things. My favourite exercise is swimming but they have demolished the local pool and it is a half hour drive to the next closest. Sad I know I have to do extra on top of the normal daily routines though, so am trying.

Over the past 3 days I have included meat in each of my meals so am just praying that I don't gain any weight. I haven't had a chance to look into vitamin pills just yet but I hope that they have changed over the years, all I can remember of them is that they repeat on me ALL day long, and because I burped so much I would end up vomiting in the end. One way to lose weight I guess. Sad

I do thank you for your concerns. Sometimes you just try things and when they don't work you get down and end up trying different things even when you know they aren't quite right.

I will also see my doctor again this week if I get time.

Thanks again,
Jennylee

lifematters

Total Posts: 796

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for seeing your dietician. I'm so glad you did so and that you are going to see your doctor.

As for the exercise, I can tell you my experience as a person who started at 268 pounds a few months ago. The exercise has been key. I know you are thinking that you don't know how you can add one more thing to your day but if you don't take care of yourself, you won't be there to take care of the others in your life. I'm sure they'd much rather have 30 minutes a day less of you now so they can have years more of you later. Maybe you can start something with your kids. I don't know how bad your knees are but I've even seen exercise routines that can be done sitting in a chair or using an exercise ball where you do a lot of sitting/bouncing on the ball. Even if it's upper body only to start with, it will rev up the metabolism.

If you'd been a member a few months ago, you'd be amazed that I'm now the one who is so passionate about exercse! I believe that one of my confessions was that I simply didn't like to sweat! I smile when I think how far I've come. By the way, I've lost 49 pounds on 1500-1800 calories a day with the exercise (currently distance walking but I've also done jazzercise and WATP.)

Please know that all this preaching we are all doing is because we want you to make it! We want you to be the vital, healthy woman that's on the inside. We want you to be there for your family and for yourself!

"Life has to be a little nuts sometimes. Otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together." Burroughs
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take those dang vitamins at night just before you go to bed. They won't come back on you that way. Drink a full glass of water when you take them and take a high quality of vitamin, like Centrum. That's the way I have to do it.

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 100 Pounds and More to Lose Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com