Newsweek artical     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockincracing

Total Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Newsweek artical Reply with quote

Here is an artical from Newsweek that I thought was interesting.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/73765?GT1=10645

What is really intersting is the comments that follow the artical. Some people are very narrow minded and I am grateful that I have found this site.
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty interesting article. However, I would add the following caveat....

People born 20 years ago are bigger than their parents. I don't mean fatter, I mean taller and larger. My mother had average size children who weighed 6 lbs. I had an average size child who weighed 7 1/2 lbs and a long tall above average child in both length and weight. My daughter had average size children, they all weighed over 8 lbs! So, comparing from one generation to the next is like comparing apples to figs. All of my friends......EVERYONE I know, has children taller than they are!

Secondly, accurate BMI is not the one used by government approved calculators. They only consider height and age and weight. I am obese on that calculator, but when I use electric calculators and take in the athletic factor, it says I am just right! I am well muscled, especially for my age. So, it is possible that when obese women choose the number of pounds that they wish to weigh, it might just be a good weight for them....we have that size thing to consider.

Thirdly, age is a factor. There comes a point in every woman's life when nature and genetics get to decide what we look like. Waists thicken, hips broaden, tummies and boobs sag. Why do you think Joan Rivers and Dolly Parton spend so much time in the surgeon's office??

But yes, as the article says, we are all influenced by our peers. Even some of us old folks. (althouogh us older ones, recognize the voice of experience when we hear it!) I think the influence by peers is probably the only truly relative thing the article had to say! I personally love to go shopping in Walmart, it makes me feel so slim!!!

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com