Breast Reduction and Other Procedures     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristineColo

Total Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Breast Reduction and Other Procedures Reply with quote

I had always been extremely topheavy and 15 months ago I had breast reduction surgery. They removed 8.5 pounds of chest!!! That's alot. That was the good news. The bad news was that after the surgery, I could see my tummy which had been hiding Embarassed . Now that's the mission. Anyone else surgically helped the process along? I'd love a tummy tuck...in fact if that total makeover show called, I'd be onboard Very Happy .

Christine
mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christine
Funny you should mention that. I just watched an episode of Dr. 90210. Two women had tummy tucks & breast lifts. One was 30 years old, and the other a teenager.

The 30yr-old had lost 130 pounds, slowly, by making lifesyle changes -- working out & eating healthily. But everyone's skin is different. Some people have more elasticity than others...and while for some, the skin may shrink enough to fit their new smaller size...hers did not.

The teenager had lost rapidly, following gastric bypass surgery. I'm not sure how old she was...but the cosmetic surgeons had mentioned that it was highly unusual for doctors to perform gastric bypass on a minor.

The doctors working on the 30yr-old were thrilled that she had lost her weight naturally & healthily. They were very confident that her tummy tuck would be a permanent enhancement...given her new healthy lifestyle. They were pleased that, during her follow up visits she was always anxious to get the OK to start working out again!

They also complimented her on her new healthy lifestyle & weightloss. They said they always recommend that their clients get their bodyfat% down before considering surgery...and that in many cases they can't even get someone to lose 10 lbs...so they were very impressed that she had the fortitude & determination to lose 130...and in a healthy way.

The teenager, however, had not made any lifestyle changes. She said she had been dieting since she was 13 yrs old. Her advice to the rest of us: "Diets don't work. You can only stay on diet so long...no matter which one it is. Just don't stress about food. Eat whatever you want...but just have a little."
Easy for her to say...since she can't eat very much right now, following her bypass.

I know 4 women who have also had gastric bypass. ( I'm not knocking it! I understand that many people can benefit greatly from this surgery.) But of the 4 women I know...unfortunately not one bothered to change their lifestyles, eating habits, or exercise. Eventually as their bodies adjusted, they were able to eat more & more again...and all 4 of them have gained all their weight back!

I gathered that the teenager had no plans of changing her lifestyle. I certainly wish her well...but between the two women here...which one do you think is likely to keep her weight off long term...and enjoy the best results from her tummy tuck?

The one who lost hers slowly, through healthy eating & exercise...and couldn't wait to get back to her workouts after the tummy tuck?

Or the one who seems to be totally relying on the gastric bypass...with no regard to lifestyle changes whatsoever?
ChristineColo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't do this as a weight loss solution, but it was certainly motivating. A lift comes with a reduction so now I am a 54 year old with 30 year old breasts...you have to love that. Laughing I agree with the slow and steady, but there is a place for surgical enhancement too...I wouldn't have said so 20 years ago, but have changed my mind a bit now Surprised .
mackadoodle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christine
I'm not knocking surgery. I'm not opposed to it at all.

I just think some people rush into it. I believe many people...with some patience & perseverance...will find that once they reach their fitness goals...and get their bodyfat percentage low enough...that they don't even need/want the surgery they thought they did. Especially when it comes to lipo!! The difference between lean & fit thighs, buns, tummy, whatever...and the lipo'd version of all-of-the-above...is amazing!! There's no comparison.

I think it will be worth every minute of planning & prepping healthy meals... and all the grunting, groaning, screaming and sweating at the gym...each & every drop of sweat...to have amazingly fit thighs, buns & tummy...rather than the lipo'd version, myself. But that's just me.

I'm just hoping that my the skin on my belly shrinks as I continue to lose. It seems to be coming along alright so far, but its a little soon to tell. Its been ste-e-etched for so long! I hope I'm one of those people with good elasticity in my skin. We'll see. If not, I'm out-o-luck, because I can't afford a tummy tuck. Oh well.

I'm glad your enjoying your perky "30 year old breasts". Very Happy
sdd3568

Total Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: breast reduction Reply with quote

christine, if i had the money i would get it done too, this coming from someone who wears a 38f bra(when i can find them) i am so top heavy that it is hard for me to do any kind of running, i do ride horses but have to wear 2 bras when i do. it would be so nice to sweep and mop or even do dishes without my back hurting,i am so glad that i bought an elliptical machine, it really has made a difference because i can do it all day long without flopping around (i'm sure YOU know what i mean!). a tummy tuck would be nice to but i had a friend who tried to do things cheap and really made a mess of her body, plus the fact that she had to spend 3 weeks in the hospital because she died on the table twice.

stick to your diet and exercise and when you lose that weight by yourself you will have all that money you saved on surgery to buy new clothes and go on vacation!!!

sandi!
ChristineColo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am being misunderstood here...I am not in any way saying that surgery is a substitute for diet and exercise. Even all the diet and exercise in the world wasn't going to remove my breasts from my waist and point them skyward. I had ridges in my shoulders, rashes, a sore back...all of which are gone now. The fact that they look like Barbie is just a side benefit. I have just changed my opinion alot on plastic surgery having had some...the results were amazing and it was relatively painless.
mackadoodle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christine
I didn't get the impression, at all, that you were suggesting surgery as a substitute for a healthy diet & exercise!
And I meant it sincerely, when I said that I'm glad you're enjoying having perky "30 year old breasts". Very Happy
sdd3568

Total Posts: 21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto ditto ditto-have had everyone of those problems and more,every period my breasts felt like watermelons and did you have to use cortisone creme just so your underbreast rashes would not drive you crazy during the day,people with small breasts just cannot imagine the hell it is carrying these things around, if i could i would!!!

sandi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 50 to 100 Pounds to Lose Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com