Salt sensitive     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Healthyteacher

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Salt sensitive Reply with quote

I am salt sensitive and seem to swell every time I eat salt. How much salt should I be getting in a day? I am a 33 year old woman.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

The fact that you're salt sensitive will work well for you throughout your life since it is important for everyone to watch their sodium intake, and most don't realize how much they're consuming. The American Heart Association recommends that all Americans try to consume 1500 mg or less of sodium per day. Considering one teaspoon of table salt is 2400 mg, this is a tough recommendation to meet. Even being salt sensitive, you do need some sodium in your diet, but the less you consume overall, the better. Salt is everywhere...even found naturally in fruits and vegetables. It's the added salt you have to watch for. Watch any prepared foods you consume...unless they specify less salt or unsalted, they're going to be very high in salt. Obviously you want to avoid adding salt to your cooking or when you're consuming a meal. The other place to watch for it is in condiments....it's often in higher amounts than you'd think in otherwise guilt-free condiments. For instance, a serving of bbq sauce has almost 300 mg of sodium. As a general guideline, a food is considered low sodium if it contains 140mg or less of sodium per serving.

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com