Depression     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michellecross

Total Posts: 16

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Depression Reply with quote

Hi

Going to put this out there......
Is there anyone out there who suffers from depression?
My binging, overeating and depression go hand in hand (not to mention not being able to exercise) - it would be really great to chat to friends in the same boat....

Michelle
ollieseh

Total Posts: 264

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle,
I don't suffer from depression - but I have a good friend who does! I would be happy to 'listen' or help in any way that I can. Feel free to send me a private message if you want!

Patty -
"Seeds of discouragement cannot grow in a grateful heart."
kdh660

Total Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michelle,
I suffered from depression for many years. I also took anti-depressants at one time. This time of the year was especially difficult for me for several years. I am a Christian and believe that it is God who delivered me from this terrible illness. Please know that you are not alone in your struggle. There are so many who daily struggle with depression. I hope you have someone close that you can open up to. If you ever need an ear I am certainly here.

~Kandy
"I choose to be grateful!"
zazelsmom

Total Posts: 26

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Depression Reply with quote

michellecross wrote:
Hi

My binging, overeating and depression go hand in hand (not to mention not being able to exercise) - it would be really great to chat to friends in the same boat....

Michelle

I do!! I have been battling depression since I was in middle school. I had tried so many different types of pills with so many different side effects (some of which included weight gain) that I just gave up. Years of fighting with and struggling with it, loosing jobs, ruining relationships and just feeling bad, I had almost given up. This last summer I finally said enough is enough. I turned to exercise. When I am feeling like I can't even get out of bed and nothing seems good. I pull my depressed self to the gym. I work it out. Sometimes it only takes 30 minutes and I'm feeling better, sometimes it takes two hours. But after 5 months, my depression comes less and less. I think it's the endorphines, I don't know, but it works for me.

Every little bit helps, make good choices, do what you can.
michellecross

Total Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all!

I think you are sooooo right about exercising helping with depression. It's just the immense energy it takes to get there!
Definitely something I will be forcing myself to do Wink)
zazelsmom

Total Posts: 26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that helps!! I know how hard it is somedays. I get frustrated at my lack of grace for some workout videos(stumbling over my own feet) and have hissy fits. But I found that if I stop the video, take a breather and try again (usually a different one) I feel better.. 'cause some days I just can't face all the people at the gym.

Every little bit helps, make good choices, do what you can.
ollieseh

Total Posts: 264

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't battle with depression - I have friends who do and I feel so helpless at times - I would love to help and don't know how!!!! I do experience problems in January and February - I think it is seasonal affective disorder(SAD) - you know the lack of light. But I do know that lots of people struggle and I would be interested in knowing if there are hormonal connections perhaps because of diet? I am just learning about the hormonal and inflammation issues for our bodies when we are overweight and I am wondering if anyone has read any connections to depression anywhere!
I don't want to over simplify the issue or to diminish how crippling depression is, but you have to wonder if our fast/junk food diets don't contribute to the problem for some people?
I'm just curious!! If you have done any research let me know!

Patty -
"Seeds of discouragement cannot grow in a grateful heart."
magicgir1

Total Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had deppression in my middle school and high school years ,but now it turns out better ,but I'm more likely to just isolate myself from my friends.I've been keeping going to the gym whenever I feel depressed or overwhelmed ,it works ,really .Maybe ,swimming or jogging are good choices ,they give you quiet time and just help you relax.
When you feel depressed ,just go out for a walk and talk with your family or friends ,it helps .Maybe it's hard for you to pick the phone up and dial it ,when depressed ,you just feel the whole world is against you or they simply don't care about you ,but this is NOT the fact.THE FACT is your family and your friends love you.Try to think of something good about your friends and family ,it works on me.
Good luck
magicgir1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Depression Reply with quote

zazelsmom wrote:
michellecross wrote:
Hi

Michelle

I do!! I have been battling depression since I was in middle school. I had tried so many different types of pills with so many different side effects (some of which included weight gain) that I just gave up. Years of fighting with and struggling with it, loosing jobs, ruining relationships and just feeling bad, I had almost given up. This last summer I finally said enough is enough. I turned to exercise. When I am feeling like I can't even get out of bed and nothing seems good. I pull my depressed self to the gym. I work it out. Sometimes it only takes 30 minutes and I'm feeling better, sometimes it takes two hours. But after 5 months, my depression comes less and less. I think it's the endorphines, I don't know, but it works for me.

we share the same strategy against bad mood ,it really works .Keep on ,buddy. Very Happy
magicgir1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zazelsmom wrote:
Glad that helps!! I know how hard it is somedays. I get frustrated at my lack of grace for some workout videos(stumbling over my own feet) and have hissy fits. But I found that if I stop the video, take a breather and try again (usually a different one) I feel better.. 'cause some days I just can't face all the people at the gym.

It's a good beginning ,just keep on ,every little bit helps you gain your goal
DrywArian

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Believe it or Not! Reply with quote

Believe it or not, you can beat this. I have to manage my emotional life like I manage my diet, with careful planning and moderation. Don't give up!
maja5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michelle,

I know exactlly what you are going through. I am same as you - my emotions effect my willingness to workout and eat healthy. Right now I am going through a really rough time in my life and there are days when I don't have energy for anything else but crying my eyes out...but I try to make myself get up and do a little exercise - even when it is just for a couple of minutes. I just find it helps me a lot and takes my mind off of my problem. When I am pushing myself physically, I forget about the emotional pain that is bothering me. It is also a good idea to have a workout buddy who will give you a little push when you are not able to do it yourself.

I hope this helps you a little...and if you need to talk, feel free to send me a message.

Maja
leafiness

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Depression Reply with quote

michellecross wrote:
Hi

Michelle

Gee thanks for mentioning that, I am in the same boat - I binge and overeat when down/depressed/anxious/panicked and really start seeing everything out of proportion. I really don't feel like exercising when I'm feeling that way, but having seen everyone else's posts here maybe I'll give it a try next time I feel like that..
maja5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Smile

I know how it is when you feel completely down and eat a whole box of cookies and then you feel even worse than you did before. I just find it, that some kind of movement helps me when I don't want to do anything but sit on the floor and cry my eyes out in a tub of Hagen Daz chocolate ice cream. I know it seems difficult, so why don't you take baby steps...like doing jumping jacks during commercials when you are watching your favourite show or take the stairs instead the elevator?

Hope this helps a little more and hope you feel a little better...and if you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me.

Maja Very Happy
nj1968

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Depression Reply with quote

I know how you feel. I to suffer from depression as well as an auto-imune that limits what I can do. I also just lost my sister back in November and am having a hard time dealing with that. I really do tend to overeat when my depression is worse. Sometimes even the meds. they have me on do not help.
I never knew that anti-depresents could affect your eating habits.

Norma Walter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com