Helplessness     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airdry

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Helplessness Reply with quote

I'm new to these message boards but I'm not sure where else to turn.
I've struggled with my relationship with food my entire life. Body image issues have ruined relationships, friendships and most attempts at a social life.

And so now I am 21 years old living in NYC too ashamed of my body to leave the apartment. For the past several months I have been working hard to try and lose weight. Currently I am 5'4 145 lbs - a measly 3 lbs down since the beginning of my serious weight loss attempt.

This morning I stepped on the scale to find that I had gained another pound and it caused a minor breakdown. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if anything can be done. I have a torn ACL which limits a lot of my exercise options but I have been consistent with strength training and cardio.

I feel completely helpless. My body image is ruining my life and my weight seems so far out of my control.
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey airdry -

Welcome to Diet.com and good for you for reaching out for some support. Breaking the cycle of an unhealthy relationship with food is tricky to do, but DEFINITELY not impossible!

Firstly, I encourage you to check out our Diet.com expert Dr. Roger Gould, who is an emotional eating expert. His blogs can be found under the Diet tab, by clicking on Diet >> Expert Blogs. You can also find (and bookmark) his blogs here:

http://www.diet.com/dietblogs/read_blog_expert.php?uid=871369

I hope you'll scroll through his blogs and give them a read. Many, many Diet.com members and visitors have learned a lot from Dr. Gould's blogs - about emotional eating AND about themselves!

Secondly, don't put yourself down for "only" losing 3lbs! Here at Diet.com, we encourage you to celebrate ALL of your successes! Think of it this way: you are 3 lbs lighter than you were before you began your weight loss. That's GREAT!

I'd love to hear more about what sorts of things you've been doing to try to lose weight. What changes have you begun to make to your lifestyle? Try pinpointing a few "bad habits" that you think you could do better on, and then set to work on tackling those, one at a time. Trying to change everything at once will just overwhelm you. Set one goal at a time, and be sure to reward yourself (with non-food rewards) everytime you complete a mini-goal!

I completely severed my own left ACL about 12 years ago, and had to go through extensive physical therapy in order to build up the strength in my leg again, after the surgery to repair it. Are you seeing a physical therapist? Do you plan to have your ACL repaired soon? I know it is very painful in the meantime! I'd be VERY careful with your knee until you have it repaired. You should speak with a doctor about what is acceptable exercise you can do in the meantime.

There are a TON of upper body exercises and core exercises that you can do in the meantime, many of which can be done without involving your knees. Check out our Diet.com Fitness Videos section to see all the different categories of fitness videos we've got! You can find our Fitness videos under the Fitness tab up there ^^ in the top navigation.

Lastly, I'd love to hear more about your eating habits. Do you cook for yourself? Do you dine out often? What sorts of foods do you typically eat?

I encourage you to start a Diet.com Blog with us - click on Weight Loss Community up there ^^ and then on Member Blogs. There, you can read others' blogs, leave supportive comments, or begin a blog yourself. I hope to hear more from you over there! Smile

Good luck and I very much look forward to hearing more from you!

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
ronpruett01

Total Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: never give up. Reply with quote

I talked to many people (basically suffering with the same situation) and I always tell them that, "indeed, there's no easy way to success.. but with the will power, everything can be possible"
kushy

Total Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For every problem there is a solution.Dont get discouraged.For to destroy hill also we have to make many attempts.
Daily attempts should be done until we acheive our goal.
Some things are there which can be completed by less no. of attempts.
Be patient and do any thing with concentration.
First know the reasons why you are becoming healthy and then consult physician, start your diet.
Stop the food which your body doesn't suits.
For any one to tell is easy.
Success comes after so much of struggle only so try until you succeed.
All the Best and hope you will succeed soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com