Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svanjicki

Total Posts: 179

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? Reply with quote

I posted this same entry on the blogs, but thought I'd put it here for those of you who might not read the blogs...
My mom picked up a book for me to read (although before she gave it to me, she wanted to let me know she didn't intend it to be like it sounds)... Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? Haha, I had to crack up, but it totally sounds like my kind of book. I read the introduction, which was 22 pages, and I can't wait to read the rest! It's by a guy named Peter Walsh... I'm sure some of you have seen him on TLC's Clean Sweep, where they go into somebody's house that is majorly cluttered and help them de-clutter by keeping only the necessities, selling things in a yard sale, and giving the rest away. I REALLY need them to come to my house (although it isn't THAT exreme),but I'd be so scared of having to get rid of my stuff. However, I know I need to really go through my stuff and clean things up, because when there's clutter in your life, it really adds the pounds. Sometimes I come home and see all the clutter and I want to cry! No matter how many times I clean it up or try to ignore it, it always comes back. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this book because manybe some of you can relate. I'll keep you updated as I read through it. Oh yeah, it retails for $25, but my mom got it 30% off at Target. You might be able to find it on eBay, but I don't know because it's a brand-new book. Enjoy!

~Sara
mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, svanjicki! Very Happy

I agree that clutter can carry over into many areas of our lives. Everything is so much better, when we're clutter-free and organized. Even planning & prepping healthy meals, and a good workout program, seem to be easier (and more enjoyable) when we're well organized.

That title alone cracks me up!!!
I wouldn't mind having it on my bookshelf, just for the title.
SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I saw him on Oprah touting this book, I went and read a previous book of his, "It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff." Same information, just without addressing how having too much stuff affects your weight.

But the gist of his strategies involve defining what you want out of life, and from there looking at your life as it is and deciding what is getting you to that life and what is keeping you from it. He really lays it on the line, forcing you to see what your clutter is costing you, in terms of money, emotional clarity and happiness, socialization, confidence, and yes, weight and health (in addition to it affecting my weight, it also causes me sprained toes and twisted ankles when I run into furniture to avoid stepping on my two cats!).

He also helps you to examine your list of excuses and the reasons you got cluttered in the first place, and what advantages you gain by having it (such as that having a messy house means you don't have to have people over and play hostess if you don't want to. I know, there is nothing stopping you from being a homebody with a clean house, but having a messy house gives you an excuse not to invite people over).

His new book links clutter and weight gain. On Oprah, he went to a woman's house and helped her to let go of a ton of stuff, including a lot of junk food and paraphernalia in the kitchen that she didn't need. The woman kind of freaked when he encouraged her to let go of some extra spoons (even on the show Clean Sweep, someone always has a meltdown over something they are holding onto, even if it is absolute trash). Come to find out, she kept them (if I remember correctly), not because she needed them, but because she was associating them with her grandmother and was afraid she would forget her if she let the spoons go. So he gently let her know that the spoons were not the person and she would never forget her grandmother and did not need the spoons to remind her.

Mindle

ready_to_soar

Total Posts: 148

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. very interesting!

Stormy Moon

Total Posts: 686

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that Oprah show, that was amazing how much stuff she had in her house! I was shocked! I always feel better when my house is in order, I make my bed as soon as I get out of it or else I don't feel right. I didn't know there was a book! Very Happy

XO
honeybear1461

Total Posts: 148

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I get my hoarding from my mother. After my mother died 3 years ago it took us (well mainly my sister as I take care of my grandmother and that is a 3 hour a day feat in itself) to clear out all mums stuff. All her paperwork was not in order so a lot of the time was going through papers so we could do her taxes she hadn't done in over 10 years before we were able to probate the will.

Anyway my place is full of clutter and I try to clear it but then I end up adding more. Most things I hold onto for the memories yet I know that they are in my head and not in the "things" I keep hold of.

My hubby has got sick of the clutter and has started to just indescriminately throw things out, some things he has had no right to chuck out and it hurts me big time.

I need to get to the bottom of this hoarding though.

Jennylee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com