Oprah and Doctor Oz     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinaJo

Total Posts: 434

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Oprah and Doctor Oz Reply with quote

Did anyone watch Dr Oz on Oprah Thursday? It was very interesting, and of course he has a new book out, called YOU ON A DIET. He really has some good tips and information. Dr Oz has a special on tonight on the Discovery Channel. Remember knowledge is power.

He stated we need at least, Walking everyday, Built muscle 1/2 hour week, Cardio 1 hour a week, that can be broken up into 3 -20 minutes if a person wants, Stetching. Our waist needs to be under 32 1/2 for women, 36 for men to be at a healthy size. He said the scale isn't as important and the waist inches!!

Nina
DietsinReview

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Oprah Reply with quote

I thought Oprah was into Bob Greene and his Diet?
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me, that Oprah is into "flavor of the day".

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Oz's book uses our Diet Personality Quiz which you can take for free here on Diet.com!

http://diet.com/member/take_consultation.php

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steffeysue wrote:
Seems to me, that Oprah is into "flavor of the day".

DITTO!!!!

***once she was into an extreme low-fat diet

***then it was extreme low-carb

***then it was over-training... extreme, unhealthy exercise schedule that nobody should be doing... not even the fittest & finest. Her trainer was ????

***then it was Bob Greene and his ridiculous #1 important rule of never eating after 7pm.

And her weight goes up and down with all these extremes, because none of the above are sensible, reasonable approaches for a permanent lifestyle.

Seems like with all her money, she would have the resources to hire someone to do the research... and find GOOD training & diet info. Its all really quite simple. All the fittest & finest people I know, do NOT fall for any of these extremes or gimmicks... and they aren't rich. If they can research and find GOOD sensible info, you'd think Oprah could.

The most fabulously fit women I know workout hard but not for endless hours per day. Its not about spending hours in the gym... its about constructing a good solid well-designed routine, and making the time count.

And they DO eat after 7pm... and they DO eat carbs and they DO eat fat, as well as protein. They just choose their fats, carbs & proteins wisely, and keep a nice balance within each of their personal caloric-needs ranges. And they only have their favorite junk for occassional treats, rather than an every day thing.

But sensible, REAL info books don't sell. Everyone's looking for the "magic" and the "secrets". They want something "new"... or the "latest".
Danarra

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: It's genetic. Reply with quote

mackadoodle wrote:
The most fabulously fit women I know workout hard but not for endless hours per day. Its not about spending hours in the gym... its about constructing a good solid well-designed routine, and making the time count.

And they DO eat after 7pm... and they DO eat carbs and they DO eat fat, as well as protein. They just choose their fats, carbs & proteins wisely, and keep a nice balance within each of their personal caloric-needs ranges. And they only have their favorite junk for occassional treats, rather than an every day thing.

And they have the genes to do that. Good for them. My dad died of liver cancer and had chemotherapy that left every other person looking like a walking skeleton - my dad? Still over 300 lbs. Everybody's different. There is no shame in trying different approaches until you find something that actually works for you.
mackadoodle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: It's genetic. Reply with quote

Quote:
mackadoodle wrote:

Danarra wrote:
And they have the genes to do that. Good for them. Everybody's different. There is no shame in trying different approaches until you find something that actually works for you.

No, they do NOT "have the genes to do that". They have the DESIRE and the WILL to do it! The DESIRE & WILLINGNESS to educate themselves... the DESIRE & WILLINGNESS to apply their knowledge to their lifestyles... the DESIRE & WILLINGNESS to do the required work. Their fit & healthy bodies are a direct result of their fit & healthy lifestyles... NOT the other way around. They are NOT blessed with some kind of special fitness genes. In fact, each has her own unique genes & challenges... just as our non-fit friends do.

This type of mindset is the very thing that holds people back... thinking that fabulously fit people are genetic freaks-of-nature who don't have to work hard... and that none of them know what its like to have ever been out-of-shape or overweight... or that none of them know what its like to struggle with over-eating issues.

And you're right, there is no shame in trying different approaches... but it IS a waste of time.
Oprah's extreme fluctuations in weight, over the years, make a perfect example of how "trying different approaches" (particularily extreme approaches) doesn't work... not in the long run, anyway. Her battle is no more difficult than anybody's. She's just yet to stop "trying" all these "new" things... and to, instead, choose a good sound health-fitness lifestyle... once and for all... and to LEARN exactly what that means.

I've seen Oprah's inteviews with some of those "experts" promoting their latest books...
and some of the ill-advice just makes me go and
Its really very sad because she has such a huge following/audience and the ability to reach & influence millions of people, at once, in a single moment (or single episode). And so many people think, "Well, if Oprah's promoting it, it must be good".

True, everybody is different. However, EVERY BODY responds VERY well to being worked out properly and fed well. EVERY body!!!
dalyceh

Total Posts: 592

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oprah and Doctor Oz Reply with quote

NinaJo wrote:
32 1/2 for women, 36 for men to be at a healthy size. He said the scale isn't as important and the waist inches!!

So someone who is 5'0" should have the same waist size as someone 5'11" ? That seems a bit off to me. Maybe the average hight woman and the average height male should have these measurements but every woman and every man?

Danarra wrote:
mackadoodle wrote:

And they have the genes to do that. Good for them. My dad died of liver cancer and had chemotherapy that left every other person looking like a walking skeleton - my dad? Still over 300 lbs. Everybody's different. There is no shame in trying different approaches until you find something that actually works for you.

I would have to agree with mac's response to this statement.

We all have our own unique bodies but what has been proven to work for EVERYBODY is eating a healthy well rounded diet and exercise. Now perhaps one person who is 200pounds has a harder time looseing weight that another person who is 200 pounds, or someone who is 160 pounds. But EVERYONE can loose weight and be fit.

Not everyone can have the perfect hour glass figure or be "just toned enough" or be 5'11" with blond hair, big chest and blue eyes!! Some things are genetic, but not a person's ability to be healthy!

But fad diets (extreamly low fat, carb, not eating after a certian time, never haveing another drink with calories in it, eating right for your blood type, excetra, excetra, excetra) do not work because they are not diets for life they are diets that work for a month, a year... But be practical once you get to your "goal" are you going to start eating rice again? Or pizza? Or doritos? Or hot dogs with a cold beer? Or cheese? Or what ever food your diet told you not to eat and now you feel like you can have it without cheating?

Eat right and exercise!!

Look at all of the very inspirational people here, sponsermyweightloss has lost significant amounts of weight by doing weight watchers, a balanced program that allows people to eat from a varaiety of foods and live your life!!

steffysue has been maintaining her weight loss since I started here.

And I would bet neither of these women or many many others on this board think they have some amazing gene that makes it any eiser for them to loose weight or be healthy and fit than any other person weather that be Paris Hilton or Oprah!

Last edited by dalyceh on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
mackadoodle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oprah and Doctor Oz Reply with quote

Quote:
NinaJo wrote:
32 1/2 for women, 36 for men to be at a healthy size. He said the scale isn't as important and the waist inches!!

dalyceh wrote:

So someone who is 5'0" should have the same waist size as someone 5'11" ? That seems a bit off to me. Maybe the average hight woman and the average height male should have these measurements but every woman and every man?

Excellent point, dalyceh!!! Thank you!!THANK YOU!!! You are exactly right. There is no way that Oz can arbitrarily assign a "healthy" waist size to everyone. He's more than just a bit off. Off his rocker.
Stormy Moon

Total Posts: 686

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oprah and Doctor Oz Reply with quote

mackadoodle wrote:
Quote:
NinaJo wrote:

dalyceh wrote:

Excellent point, dalyceh!!! Thank you!!THANK YOU!!! You are exactly right. There is no way that Oz can arbitrarily assign a "healthy" waist size to everyone. He's more than just a bit off. Off his rocker.

Dr. Oz is saying your waist size should be at or under these measurements, not this exact size.
Did you all miss the post by CSL/Bailey? Diet.com uses his personality quiz and has links to buy his book. If Diet.com believes in him, maybe he's not as 'off' as we all may think he is. Don't we believe and trust in diet.com and their information?

XO

Last edited by Stormy Moon on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Stormy Moon

Total Posts: 686

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSL-Bailey wrote:
Dr. Oz's book uses the Personality Type Diet quiz in his book for readers to find out their unique type. You can take the quiz free right here on Diet.com!

http://diet.com/member/take_consultation.php

Or you can buy Dr. Ozís book "You on A Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management" by clicking here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743292545?ie=UTF8&tag=dietcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0743292545

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink

Here is her post in case you missed it.

XO
dalyceh

Total Posts: 592

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not say that everything he says is wrong or "off" there is something valid to be taken out of just about any book. And I realize that the measurement is a minimum, but my point was that that waist size may not be as healthy for someone who is 5'0" as someone who is 5'11".

mackadoodle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalyceh wrote:
I did not say that everything he says is wrong or "off" there is something valid to be taken out of just about any book. And I realize that the measurement is a minimum, but my point was that that waist size may not be as healthy for someone who is 5'0" as someone who is 5'11".

I agree. Its a broad, sweeping generalization. There are a few other questionable things about this book too.. in my humble opinion anyway. Laughing
tabbyjoe1768

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: What is wrong with Oz? Reply with quote

What are the things that you find wrong about what Dr. Oz has to say? I have not read his book but I watched his discovery show and I watch him on Oprah. As a nurse I find the things he has to say valid. I agree that the waist measurements may be too general, that would be a good question for him. But what else is he off on?? I am not in any way being sarcastic I am just getting started and want to make sure I keep my eyes on the right things. Thanks Tab
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal objection is the number of "things" that he recommends people take....vitamins, aspirin, etc. It's a huge list. One of the most objectionable thing on the list was baby aspirin. He recommends EVERY man over 40 and EVERY woman over 50 take a baby aspirin. Even the aspirin companies say "Talk to your doctor before beginning aspirin therapy". My BP at 51 years old is 114 over 68. I doubt that I need a baby aspirin....maybe I'm not one the EVERY persons he refers too?? eh??

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com