eating at ballparks (and other sporting events)     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSL-Lauren

Total Posts: 487

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: eating at ballparks (and other sporting events) Reply with quote

Last night I went to a Red Sox game (very exciting!) and indulged in a cheeseburger, cheap beer, and fries which I split with my boyfriend and our other friend. My boyfriend had a personal pizza. Other things I saw for sale: ballpark franks, italian sausages, hamburgers, soft-serve ice cream, clam chowder (so new england), crackerjacks, popcorn, cotton candy, frozen lemonade, chicken strips, etc. So I ask.. is there just no way to eat healthy at a ballpark? When you go to a ballpark, is your diet utterly doomed?

I suppose there are ways to get around it, like splitting food with a friend or just accommodating for the extra calories with the rest of your meals during the day.

Any other ideas?

Best Wishes,

CSL-Lauren Smile
ptwonline

Total Posts: 140

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm going to a sporting event, or a fair, or someplace else where I know that there will be all sorts of tasty (and fattening) food, I don't deny myself the pleasure. Heck, part of what makes those places and events fun IS the food!

But what I also do is make sure that:

a) I eat a lot better--and fewer calories--in other days that week to help make up for the indulgence

and/or

b) Make sure I buy only small sizes so that I can taste a lot of favorites without really overdoing it. Ice cream? Just a small one, thanks. Corn dog? I'll take the little one, or maybe I'll only eat half and someone else can eat the other half. Sometimes eating a lot of fruit before going to the event can help fill me up, making it less likely that I will overeat on the bad stuff.

Small portions just to get a taste is what I do for my other favorite snacks. Instead of eating a "snack" sized bag of potato chips (400+ calories) I buy those little containers of about a dozen chips at 100-140 calories in total. That way if I get a craving I can eat enough to get the taste and fill that craving without sabotaging my weight.

CSL-Lauren

Total Posts: 487

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply ptw, you bring up a really important point that we shouldn't deny ourselves the pleasure, because i mean, it's part of the whole ballpark experience anyway! But it also emphasizes that as part of developing healthy habits, you have to continue to practice them wherever you are, and making adjustments for each situation you're in, so in this case, being really aware of what it will really take to be satisfied, and sticking to portion control, and all those little handy diet tips to enjoy and stay on track at the same time.

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas! Smile

Best Wishes,

CSL-Lauren Smile
SavvySnacker

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite thing to get at ballparks are pretzels. I have to force myself to share so that I don't eat the whole thing myself! And I always have takers... Smile
kalalor

Total Posts: 58

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, at Yankee stadium (which I frequent often...lol...sorry Sox) you can bring in your own food in a clear bag (or they will provide you a clear bag to put the food in). I thought that was WONDERFUL...but I still enjoy the food there...it IS part of the experience...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com