cardio-free diet     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ready_to_soar

Total Posts: 148

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: cardio-free diet Reply with quote

Has anybody tried that program? I'm going to check out the book.

CSL-Lauren

Total Posts: 487

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the program but I've flipped through the book here and there. Sounds interesting! I really like my cardio though and I've found my heart and lungs are so much stronger after cardio workouts. I'd be interested to know how the cardio-free diet can compare to that!

Best Wishes,

CSL-Lauren Smile
lil_scooter93

Total Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you could have a cardio-free diet. I have never heard of it, but then agian I'm not all into the big diet "scene" lol. I have only heard of about 3 diets. I think cardio is one of the best ways to exersize though, because you can do just about anything as long as your heart rate is up. I like swimming so I'm excited about summer. The pool is opening up soon!!! But anyway, sounds like it could work though. I would totally look into it.
dalyceh

Total Posts: 592

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read up on it and the lady seems a bit strange and some of her theory a bit off (i.e. cardio being bad for your body because most people do it with improper form, where as far more people do resistiance training with poor form and are injured by it).

I love cardio and even do a weight class that is done more at a cardio pace. My theory is do what works for you.

ready_to_soar

Total Posts: 148

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I finished reading the book. The author is promoting strength training and calorie restriction for weight loss. He is totally against cardio mainly because of risk of joint injury and the fact that it makes you hungry so you overeat and offset all the work that you have done. Also he said your body gets fitter and you need to work more to burn the same number of calories.

Well, for me I don't run or jump around because of back pain (and weight!). I still believe that cardio is good for your heart. He argues that if you keep moving between sets of strength training, then you will keep your heart rate up and get some benefit close to cardio. I might try this idea. And like daylceh said, you can still injure yourself in strength training.

Anyways, the book has good advice about strength training. I didn't know the concept of 'failure' before. Basically you need to do reps till you fail - you can't do one more rep in proper form. He says 10 reps are optimum, so you need to increase the weight if you can do more than 10 reps. The strength training routine looks interesting. The exercises work several muscles at the same time. I wish he said which muscles were worked for each exercise.

The weired thing is that he said no need for stretching because if you do work a muscle in its full range of motion, then you stretch the opposite muscle. I am not convinced, so I will do my stretches anyways.

He includes a diet and meal plans. For women starting at 1200 and up to 1500 by the end of the program (and maintenance), for men 1500 to 1800. His diet advice all makes sense, except the calorie count - too restrictive for me. Also I noticed that he doesn't use any fat in cooking, all grilled, steamed or cooking spray! Also very little grains!

It was a good read, but I would still not go cardio-free!

Breezy999

Total Posts: 503

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fine for some folks, but since most people ultimately die of heart related illness, I would think any responsible program should include heart healthy cardio. I agree, most aerobics are too hard on the joints, but stepping, walking, jogging and even easy running are not hard on the joints as long as you work out on the proper surfaces.
All the well rounded 'experts' at Mayo, American Cancer Society, Heart Disease Prevention, etc. all clearly state a variety of exercises and a combination of cardio and strength are needed, especially for women to promote weight loss, and good heart health.
LLiB

steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you can get your heart rate up doing weight resistance training, but it isn't sustained for very long, and you really can't reach your maximum heart rate without some kind of cardio. I do weight resistance and cardio and I know that my heart rate isn't elevated long enough to even come close to the 30 minutes, three times a week minimum that the government recommeds for heart health if I just strength train.

On the other hand, it is a beginning point. And it is better than nothing.

(edited for clarification)

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue

Last edited by steffeysue on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
dalyceh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength training is extreamly importiant but so is cardio and stretching. It is a three legged stool. It is really hard to function with one leg missing. But something is always better than nothing.

The thing I didn't understand from this lady's website ( http://www.jimkaras.com/cardiofreediet.html ) was:

"Q: Can Cardio really be bad for me?
More than you know! The fact of the matter is that the consistent pounding of the body from traditional forms of "cardio" can lead to severe injuries in your back, knees, ankles and everything in between. Moreover, since most people choose it because they don't have to think about it to do it, they perform it using poor form and bad posture which only further exacerbates this problem. And if you're wasting hours and hours of "cardio", trying in vain to lose weight and keep it off, the whole ordeal can be extremely frustrating and demotivating. There's no quicker way to derail a newfound desire to take control of your body than to waste effort and lose motivation. "

I have yet to meet a person that walked with "improper form" to the point they would injure themselves, that could also do strength training (and that includes my almost 100 year old late great grandma who did both)!

Even the class I do that is strength training at a VERY fast pace for strength training (the class does about 100 reps in a row of several movements, 30-45 second break to change weights then into the next set for a different body part, for an hour) I don't think pushes my heart hard enough. I would think that more than strength training is needed.

steffeysue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the milking stool analogy, daly, but aren't you to young to know about one??? Shocked

I do strength training, cardio, stretching, pilates, bike riding, stepper, so-on-and-so-forth. I think in all things balance is important, variety is the spice and life gets better if you let it!!! LOL But, I think what it really comes down to is this: If someone wants to believe it, then it will sell books and it will make money. -- Eat less, move more, doesn't sell books!

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
dalyceh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I didn't milk cows but my mom likes antiques so we have lots of that type of stuff around growing up (and I acidently "broke" one once).

I know it doesn't! Actually I just saw tyra show (was what was on when I got home, we don't have cabel ... sooo) She did a weight loss chalenge and the only people who didn't loose dramatic weight were basically on the eat less move more plan. So she put another girl on the "Fat Smash Diet" who's team lost the most weight and the poor girl had already been on atkins and nutrisystem and didn't stick too it I was so concerned on putting her on yet another fad diet. The third diet they featured was the raw foods diet (which also didn't appeal to me).

The thing is that they want to say eating less and moving more is effectivly less helpful than a fad diet, however you can put any person on any variety of diets and if they stick to it they will loose weight (at least at first) but weather they keep it off or not is a different story ....

steffeysue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA! I am glad you cleared up the milking stool mystery! I feel better, now! Laughing

Breezy999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat less, move more is a long term strategy ... very few people will get 'dramatic' results from a long term strategy. It's like the stock market, you don't buy stock to get rich quick, but as a very long term way to promote financial health, it can be a good thing...
Reducing calories, moving more will lead to the 1-2 pounds per week that is SUSTAINABLE. Tyra needs to go back to those ladies after 6 months and see how many sustained their weight loss and how many were creaping back the pounds...
Balance is the key...LLiB

dalyceh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breezy I have to correct you. You can get rich quick with a stock (if you get very lucky) but the only way that happens is when you take extraordinary amount of risk, usually diversifiable risk (which doesn't yeild more). A well diversified portfolio of stocks will not make you rich fast (some will go up others down), but it will help you gain wealth while not going broke fast also... (Sorry I am a finance major and it wold kill me not to state that) ... easy comes easy goes.

Breezy999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but buying stock is not a SMART way to make quick money. You either must be extraordinarily lucky, or know something the rest of the public isn't privy too (insider trading anyone?)... just like quick weight loss strategies arent a SMART way to lose weight...
(i was a finance major too).
the stock market is supposed to be a long term plan, not a quickie...
LLiB

dalyceh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that. Like I said luck and risk. Neither of which is SMART. Even some stocks with extraordinaryly fast growth you have the oprotunity to "buy in" whith public information and ride quite high. But what goes up then comes down. Anyhow, your analogy made sense but I just wanted to mention that because there are people who got really lucky (boom from tech) then lost their money.... those who got out were really well off but unfortunately that didn't happen to most.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com