Docs advice.... or not     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 100 Pounds and More to Lose
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tracynudd

Total Posts: 51

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Docs advice.... or not Reply with quote

OK went to the doctors today to get some help and advice. Now I am not going to go on about doctors in the UK. But she weighed me, measured me asked me about my weight loss so far and offered me diet pills. At one point she actually said "I need to throw you out now because I have run out of time". Well thanks for the help then Sad . Not an offer of a nutritionist , or referral of any kind. She didn’t even take my blood pressure. Now our practice I have to say is very overworked and I don’t want to put anybody else of going to their local doctors, but I am a little disappointed. I am not sure what I was hoping to gain from going but a little more than a box of pills might have been good. Even if it was just maybe at least a little interest. I have took the pills, looked into the side effects and will think about whether or not to take them over the next few days. I might give it week and see how I do.

On the plus side though I did lose 4lbs this week YIPPEE…… Very Happy Very Happy
Tracy

Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to get a new doctor. Any physician who doesn't take the time to properly assess your health, or barring that, to make a second appointment so you can get a better evaluation, isn't doing you any good.

I'd be very careful about taking diet pills that were prescribed so casually. Most prescriptions like that should only be given after a thorough checkup.

Book an appointment with another doctor, and let the nurse know that you're coming for something like this when you phone so that the clinic can book you a longer time. My doctor's office has two types of appointments: the usual quick in-and-out, or a longer time block for annual physicals and the like. See if you can get something similar.

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by Bird77 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the drugs. Your doctor may be overwhelmed with work. The drugs are just a panacea for both of you. Engage yourself in a new lifestyle and you will see results, four pounds is a tremendous start!!

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with diet pills (and surgery, for that matter), is it is supposed to happen in conjunction with lifestyle changes. If you don't make the lifestyle changes, the minute you go off the drugs (and you can't stay on them forever), you will gain all that weight back and more.

Now, if you are going to make the lifestyle changes anyway, why not just make them and skip the health risks of drugs or surgery? The weight might not come off as quickly, but slower weight loss is more likely to be permanent than quick.

And if you are losing already, why monkey with your system with drugs?

Mindle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 100 Pounds and More to Lose Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com