We are often told that eating low fat alternatives instead of our favorite foods will help fight off our cravings. It is a constant struggle to keep substituting foods we love for less appetizing versions. It is at this point that the fight to stay fit just doesn’t seem worth it.
This is what happens when we do not feel satisfied by our low fat, low calorie diet. Many of us may eat healthy in public but behind closed doors we overindulge in foods that we label as “off limits”. By not allowing ourselves to eat these foods, we are essentially making our body want them more.
The good news is that any food, no matter how unhealthy it may be, can be eaten in moderation.
Here are five helpful on how to forget about the guilt and start enjoying food again:
1) Go by the 80/20 rule. Eat 80% healthy food and save 20% for the less healthy foods that we love oh so much!
2) Add fat and fiber to your diet. Instead of just a plain salad, add some grilled chicken and nuts to make the salad more filling and satisfying.
3) Break away from the “fat free” desserts. Instead of eating a box of “fat free” cookies, enjoy one yummy Chocolate Raspberry Natural Ovens cookie made with healthy ingredients and fiber.
4) Allow yourself to eat a “forbidden” food in public. Enjoy your food and don’t allow yourself to feel guilty afterward. Just savor every bite!
5) Stop packing the same lunch everyday. Make meals fun again by bringing back the foods that fill you up. Try a high fiber bagel with light cream cheese and tomato, or pack a single Hershey’s kiss with you as an after lunch treat.
These five tips will stop your cravings from consuming your goals.
Please note: if you suffer from any food allergies or are on medication that restrict certain foods, please speak with your doctor to find solutions based on your individual needs.