As summer heats up, who isnít looking for the perfect cool-down dessert to freshen up a hot summer day? Itís difficult for anyone to resist a big bowl of ice cream, but when youíre on a diet and watching your calories and fat, that triple scoop extra-large sundae can send those numbers soaring. Fear not!
Here are five light and delicious summer treat ideas that are easy on your waistline:
1) Get your chocolate fix with a frozen, fat free Fudgesicle bar! With only 65 calories and 0 grams of fat, Fudgesicles are a dieterís best friend during the summer. Regular bars such as Haagen-Dazsí Chocolate and Dark Chocolate bars carry 300 calories and a whopping 21 grams of fat.
2) Refresh your sweet tooth by making your own milkshake. Try blending ice, chocolate Silk Soy Milk, Ĺ large sliced banana, and some halved strawberries for a low-calorie, low-fat dessert you can sip! Itís a great alternative to regular malts, like Dairy Queenís small Chocolate Malt which contains 640 calories alone and contains 16 grams of fat.
3) Kick back with an iced green tea such as zero-calorie Arizona Diet Green Tea with a splash of cranberry juice. Garnish with a lemon and youíll be all set for summer relaxation. This will keep you and your diet a lot cooler than those blended espresso drinks. A Starbucks Grande Caramel Frappuccino Blended Coffee with whipped cream is 430 calories and 16 grams of fat.
4) Create your summer dessert at home using non-fat yogurt like 1 cup Stoneyfield Farms non-fat French Vanilla (180 calories) and top with your favorite berries and a drizzle of maple syrup for a treat you can feel good about. If youíre ordering ice cream, the extra large bowl is okay if youíre splitting it with many friends, but consumed alone, you can take in your dayís worth of calories in a single dessert. Cold Stone Creameryís Mud Pie Mojo (coffee ice cream, almonds, fudge, Oreos, peanut butter, and whipped cream) is 1,180 calories and 26 grams of fat. Yikes!
5) Party with a popsicle for a healthy, ready-to-eat dessert when youíre in a hurry. Orange, cherry, and grape Popsicles are the dieterís perfect treat, containing only 45 calories and 0 grams of fat! Thatís a lot better than frozen candy bars, such the Snickers Ice Cream Bar, containing 250 calories and 15 grams of fat.
Who says you canít diet and enjoy dessert at the same time this summer? With these five healthy alternatives to diet-busting desserts, youíll be smooth-sailing all summer long! Whatever you decide to indulge in, remember to consider portion size or even split your dessert with a friend! Most importantly, enjoy your summer and remember to treat yourself every once and awhile. You deserve it!