With the right set of fitness equipment, youíll be feeling the burn as you work your heart and strengthen your muscles at home! Here are five essential fitness items you should own to have a successful workout without stepping a foot in a gym:
1) A yoga mat. Donít worry if yoga isnít your style. A yoga mat is helpful for all types of floor exercises by providing cushion and good traction for your body, and absorbing impact while you do stretches, crunches, or other mat exercises. Get one with moderate thickness for ultimate comfort. You can find yoga mats everywhere, including mass retailers such as Target. For the best prices, try shopping online!
2) Set of dumbbell weights. . Especially for you women out there, resistance training is super important for building bone density. Invest in a set of weights, like the Empower 32lb Dumbbell Set, to work both your upper body and your lower body. Place your set of weights near the couch so you can get a workout while you watch TV! For great upper and lower body exercise ideas, check out the exercise demos in Diet.comís Exercises section. Besides using them for the usual bicep curls, you can incorporate dumbbells into lunges, squats, and abdominal twists to name a few.
(Tip continues below)
3) Stability ball. A stability ball, also known as an exercise, fitness, balance, body, swiss, gym, or yoga ball, is an excellent way to work your balance and core muscles. Intensify crunches and sit-ups by doing them on a stability ball. Replace your desk chair with the stability ball to burn even more calories. Tip: Stability balls come in different sizes, so make sure the one you get feels comfortable. If youíre falling off your stability ball, chances are itís too big for you!
4) Jump rope. Bust out your old jump rope from when you were a kid! Itís a great way to get a heart-pumping cardio workout at home! Plus, itís a lot cheaper and a lot easier to store than a pricey treadmill. Just make sure you move anything breakable out of the way before you start jumping!
5) Fitness DVDs. Fitness DVDs are an excellent way to burn calories and even have fun right in your living room. There are so many DVDs to choose from, ranging from aerobic workouts to kickboxing, and even belly dancing!
These are all easy ways to save money while getting a complete workout right at home. If you donít have time or you donít have access to a gym, owning some or all of these fitness items can help you get in shape! As always, check with your physician before you start with any exercise and diet regimen.