A past article that I wrote on Diet.com prompted me to think about strategies that would reduce the temptation to OVEReat at buffets. Here are my top ten tips, David Letterman style.
10. Take a smaller plate when you go up to the buffet and make more trips if needed.
9. Drink a protein drink about 45 minutes beforehand to balance your blood sugar.
8. Fill a water bottle with a packet of soluble fiber mix, drink it in the car on your way to eat and finish it prior to going into the restaurant.
7. Remind yourself that this food is here every single day, you can come back any time you'd like. Your goal is to have a healthy relationship with food. That means moderation.
6. Slow down, stretch out your meal and enjoy the company. Eat slowly.
5. Drink a full glass of water prior to going to get food, and drink water in between rounds.
4. Eat in this order: raw/steamed vegetables, protein, fresh fruit, potatoes/cooked vegetables, and lastly bread, pasta and desserts.
3. Fill your plate with salad the first time to give your brain time to register that you are full.
2. Order off of the menu. I do this at Ruby Tuesdays, they have a wonderful salad bar, but I order a salad instead. Here is the difference, when I order the salad bar, I want my money's worth. When I order a meal, I want left overs.
Number 1 tip: Avoid them completely! Why set yourself up for disaster? While you are losing weight, step away from the buffet!
Follow me on Twitter: @MindOverPlatter