|Home > Expert Blogs > Fitness Expert Katrina|
AboutKatrina Hodgson, NASM CPT, BS Health Science, has helped thousands reach their goals by designing fitness programs with her workout videos and her website ToneItUp.com. As one of Diet.com’s featured personal trainers she hopes to share her passion for fitness and continue to make a positive impact for the Diet.com community.
» Meet Katrina Hodgson
» Save Author as Favorite
» See all FitnessExpertKatrina's Posts
Recent Posts» Top Slimming Secret (& Why Women Shy Away from It)
» The 5 BEST Ab Exercises!
» The 5 WORST Ab Exercises!
» The Spring into Swimsuit Shape Workout
» Packed Gyms? 5 Tips to Stay Motivated!
Archive» August 2007
» July 2007
» June 2007
» May 2007
» April 2007
» March 2007
training for women has many benefits… below are some of my favorite!
1. Muscle requires more calories during the day for your body to maintain it, thus increasing your metabolism! Overtime, an increase in muscle tone can decrease fat without changing your diet. Planning on eating a little healthier and decreasing your calorie intake? Even better! Strength training can increase your metabolism and help you lose those unwanted pounds!
2. Ever thought about getting cellulite creams or expensive ‘cellulite removing massages?’ Think again. Whether someone is overweight or not, many women have cellulite. To decrease the appearance of cellulite, build some muscle tone in the area to smooth it over! I cannot tell you a better solution and studies show that fat loss can also reduce the appearance of cellulite… so see benefit # 1!
3. Ever thought about plastic surgery or liposuction in certain areas too? Create curves on your body naturally in the right places! Forget breast implants, create cleavage that is all yours girl! How about a more round and smooth butt? My favorite is creating a lower AB area that could even make your low-rise jeans cry. See my next blog for my favorite tightening exercises!
4. Strength training prevents injuries and helps with strong bones and ligaments… don’t know what this means? Just think about it... a woman not having to deal with falling down a two-inch step breaking her hip into 8 pieces, it’s a blessing only my great grandmother could have told me about.
5. There’s nothing sexier than a woman with flexible long lean muscles and all at once being able to balance on those 2-inch heels. Hit the weights and strength train your core. It is never too late to start!
6. Increases athletic ability… who needs that? Women with children, women with teens, women with adults, women with women! Why not enjoy the outside and be able to roller-blade, play tennis, show up your husband on the golf course, pick up three kids at once and walk into a family picnic. We are athletes every day of our lives.
7. Increases confidence. A confident woman is a strong woman and I could go on for days what this can do for every aspect of your life.
8. Extends your life!
'What kind of training should you do if you do not want to get ‘bulky’? Light weight?' Not so fast… it should be light enough that you can complete 12-15 repetitions, but also heavy enough to stimulate the muscle fibers into changing shape and becoming stronger. The last 2 repetitions should be difficult to do. It helps to complete one exercise after another with minimal rest so that you can burn more calories and raise your heart rate. Try incorporating some jump-rope or aerobic exercise between strength training exercises to burn optimal amount of calories (circuit training). This will help with slimming the layer of fat on top of that hard earned muscle!
To answer the question, strength/resistance training does not give you the appearance of being bulky! Poor diet and lack of exercising the right way does. If you think you are too bulky and have too much muscle, continue weight training but mix up your cardio routine with it, look over your diet and see if you are creating a deficit in calories or if you are staying at the same fat percentage and gaining muscle. It helps to see a trainer too. Hit the weights and let me know how it goes! I guarantee you will love it.
Next week I am going to give you my personal favorite slimming exercises and share secrets for a tight strong core! Please feel free to contact me with questions or just to share your goals!
Diet.com Fitness Expert
Hot Topicsdiet, weight loss, fitness, motivation, abs, restaurants, health, calories, stress, challenge, gyms, support, goals, points, exercise, metabolism, food, recipe
Most Popular Searches
Most Popular Blogs» Longer, Leaner Thighs: 5 Best Exercises
» We Announce The Challenge WINNER!
» Best Vitamins Dieters Not Getting
» The Dangerous Escape Food Provides
» Janel Hits The Farmers Market
Highest Rated Blogs» The Top 10 Workout Songs for March 2015
» Losing Weight as a Couple: 7 Secrets to Success
» Enjoy the Benefits of Eating Local
» Buying & Preparing Lamb: The Basics
» The Road to Being Booty-ful