- Diet Plans
- Weight Loss Community
Memorial Day is all about family and friends, and gathering around the grill for some good eats and good company. Just like any other celebration, a little bit of indulgence doesn't mean that your whole diet has to be derailed. Here are some tips for surviving your Memorial Day BBQ:
* If you're heading to a barbeque, offer to bring a healthy side, entrée or dessert. This way you know there's at least one option that will be lower in calories. Some typical BBQ foods that are "diet safe" include veggies (but watch those dips!), fruit salad, grilled chicken, ground turkey burgers or turkey hot dogs.
* If you're hosting, then you have control of the menu! While you don't have to force your healthy habits on everyone else, get a little creative with your food options. There are tons of alternatives to burgers and hot dogs that won't leave your guests looking for more. Some examples include: making kabobs, turkey burgers using lean ground turkey, grilling veggies such as zucchini, peppers, onions and eggplant, or marinating chicken or steak. Keep the sides healthier as well by using whole wheat pasta, low fat dressings, low fat dips and trying alternatives to your traditional potato or macaroni salads that don't include mayo anywhere in the recipe!
Here are some other tips:
- Skip the bun: having your burger without the bread will save at least 150 calories.
- Choose healthy dips like hummus, or use fat free sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to make your own veggie dip.
- Think your drink: as always, alcohol adds up, so make sure you're counting those sips into ... Continue
|1 | 2 Next Page|