Ice cream has always had a bit more importance in my life than most people... Growing up (and still now) my father's family owns an ice cream restaurant! Growing up we were always around ice cream and this made me grow accustomed to ice cream, and crave frozen yogurt! While it is delicious, ice cream is not always your healthiest option! It is extremely high in sugar and probably isn't the best thing to eat everyday, but once in a while is totally fine! Here are some of my "healthier" options!Strawberry Graham Paleo Frozen Yogurt
This is the best paleo recreation I've come up with yet. It's also to blend frozen bananas in the food processor, but that can become very high in both carbohydrates and sugar.
- 1/3 c. Canned coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp. Coconut extract
- 4 Diced strawberries
- 1 tbs. Flaxseed
- Stir the 1/3 cup coconut milk and refrigerate overnight. In a food processor combine all of the above ingredients. Freeze for around 1/2 to 1 hour and enjoy!
- You can top with raisins, shredded unsweetened coconut, or slivered almonds if you like.
- If you don't have time to freeze eat this as a pudding.
Banana Split Protein Ice Cream
- 2 large frozen strawberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 scoop chocolate protein (whatever kind you want...I used Vega
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
1 tbs. psyllium husk or
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
Combine all of your ingredients in a blender and blend. If you need to, add in extra ice or water depending on your desired thickness. Top with sliced almonds and a fresh cherry. I used fat free Reddi whip for the picture! Totally optional but nowhere near Paleo... although it is gluten free!
What did you used to eat as a child that you would now never eat? Favorite Ice cream flavor?
Thanks for checking out my recipe and you can find more Paleo and Gluten free recipes over on my blog at Clean Food Creative Fitness