|Home > Expert Blogs > The Pursuit of Ultimate Wellness|
AboutAlicia Kirschenheiter is an American Council on Exercise Certified Advanced Health & Fitness Expert, Personal Trainer, Fitness Coach, Certified Weight & Lifestyle Management consultant and Certified Wellcoach. Alicia is owner of Evolution Total Wellness Inc. located in New York, providing health and wellness solutions for individuals and businesses. Alicia is also a published fitness, health and wellness writer for a variety of venues and author of Oscar and Otis – Fat Fighters, a children’s book about healthy lifestyle choices.
» Meet Alicia Kirschenheiter
» Save Author as Favorite
» See all Alicia Kirschenheiter's Posts
Recent Posts» Got Support?
» Oh Sugar, Sugar!
» Meatless is Tasteless... No Way!
» Finnegan Begin Again - Finding Motivation
» Let’s Talk Fitness Ladies!
Archive» July 2012
» June 2012
» May 2012
» April 2012
» March 2012
» February 2012
Here are some of the most important things I have learned from people trying to live a healthy life...
“The pursuit of a healthy lifestyle is a life long journey.” I am pretty sure I say that at least three times a day. It’s my mantra of sorts. It may not be the most popular statement in a world of quick fixes, fad diets and miraculous makeovers, but it is a simple truth. The path of personal wellness is not easy, it’s not quick and not without stumbles; it is a conscious decision to be vital and to be our best selves.
These are my favorite lessons learned...taught to me by the most unexpected teachers: my clients themselves.
• Simplicity Is a Hard Sell – People want to believe in the power of complexity. Fitness must have gadgets, a nourishing diet must include trendy foods or power drinks and meditation is only for Buddhists. Forget that. Simple fitness, uncomplicated whole foods and manageable practices are the greatest tools in the pursuit of health. Learned simplicity can make reaching your goals that much easier.
• Vanity Is Not All Bad – Anyone who has ever started a program to get healthy is lying if they say vanity was not at least partly a motivator. Of course it is! It just shouldn’t be the only motivator. Vanity becomes the difference between someone wanting to change her life vs. someone who wants to fit into her high school jeans. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to look your best, if it motivates you, embrace it. The key to owning the vanity is keeping it realistic. Aiming to be the size 4 you were in high school may not be the best of personal goals if you have been out of high school for 20 years.
• We All Have an Achilles Heel (Yes - even trainers and health professionals) – I love chocolate. That’s honest. I have blown off a workout for a Law & Order episode - also honest. Understanding that perfection is an oddity is to understand that without these small events in a life long journey, we would live an uneventful life. Missing out on a life event to adhere to a strict wellness schedule sort of defeats the purpose of having ultimate health if you're not living it.
• Wellness is Individual – Everyone’s journey to be healthy is different. No two people will feel the same about their health mission. What might work for one may do the exact opposite for another. Don’t ever feel pressured to keep up with someone else’s goals in health and wellness. You are unique and so must be your path to wellness. I have had many clients come to me for help and say, “I don’t understand why the diet I was on didn’t work. It worked for my friend.” Simple answer...You’re not them.
• Love What You Do and Do What You Love – Who loves strength training? Sweating in the gym in front of people? Working out alone? Being a vegetarian? Aerobics? Simple school of thought, if you hate it, what’s the likelihood you’ll do it? …Not too good! Find something that speaks to you and work it in. Love to dance?So shake it. Love to cook? Work those recipes. Love the weights..? ... Continue
Hot Topicsdiet, weight loss, fitness, motivation, abs, restaurants, health, calories, stress, challenge, gyms, support, goals, points, exercise, metabolism, food, recipe
Most Popular Searches
Most Popular Blogs» Longer, Leaner Thighs: 5 Best Exercises
» We Announce The Challenge WINNER!
» Best Vitamins Dieters Not Getting
» The Dangerous Escape Food Provides
» Janel Hits The Farmers Market
Highest Rated Blogs» Kick Start Your Metabolism
» Are You Portion Savvy?
» Labor Day Spicy BBQ Chicken Recipe
» 4 Keys to Being Unstoppable
» 13 Ways To Get More Omega-3 Fatty Acids