Little secret about my chocolate chip "z bars"...I never tasted them! My sister was the taste tester and let me tell you...she is a tough critic! She and I are very opposite in our eating habits and it is a running joke in our family that she should be a food critic because she is picky about what she eats! So when she tasted my bars and told me she really liked them, I was surprised, but when she ate them voluntarily throughout the week and took some home with her I was floored! I even got my sister, who has a love of donuts by the way, to eat healthy!!! Iced Oatmeal Raisin Cookie G Free "Z bars"
I figured I could absolutely not stop there and picked another flavor Z bar to recreate: Iced oatmeal cookie! I added in raisins, but other than that I think they're pretty similar! Try them out and let me know what you think!
- 1-1/4 cup gluten free oats
- tbs. cinnamon
- tsp. baking soda
- dash of sea salt
- 2 tbs. flax
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup raisins
- tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbs. Agave
- White chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a blender pulse 1 cup of the gluten free oats into a flour like consistency. In a mixing bowl combine the oat flour, the 1/4 cup whole oats, cinnamon, baking soda, flax, and salt. In a food processor pulse 1/2 cup raisins to a paste like consistency, add in to your oat mixture. Lastly add in the vanilla and agave. Form into bars (about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide) and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until the tops begin to brown. Drizzle with melted white chocolate if you like. Enjoy!
Favorite bar? What other bars would you like to see made G Free, Paleo, or Healthier???? I'm open to suggestions!
For more recipes check out my blog Clean Food Creative Fitness.
- These expand big time when you bake them! Mine came out more the size of clif bars than Z bars. You can either bake them like this and slice them in half when they cooled or shape them smaller to start!
- These are sweet! If you don't like things super sweet, cut down on the agave and only use 1/4 cup
- I swapped the dates in my chocolate chip recipe for raisins, it seemed fitting! Because of this the bars didn't hold together as well so if you are making them for on the go, you may want to make them with dates (6 medjool dates)!