|Home > Expert Blogs > Saving Dinner|
AboutWith her clever wit and wisdom, certified nutritional consultant (CNC), Leanne Ely, is bringing people back to the dinner tables each evening. Leanne has a simple philosophy, “Make it and they will come.” She is author of the Saving Dinner series; Leanne also dishes out recipes and advice with her syndicated newspaper column, The Dinner Diva.
» Meet Leanne Ely
» Save Author as Favorite
» See all TheDinnerDiva's Posts
Recent Posts» The Skinny on Fats and Oils
» Should You Eat Mayo on a Diet?
» Health Benefits of Coconuts
» Please Say NO to GMO!
» True Or False-a: I Love Salsa!?
Archive» October 2008
» September 2008
» August 2008
» July 2008
» June 2008
» May 2008
The Super Bowl kicks off this Sunday in the United States and believe me, this is a big event. Let me rephrase that. This is a Big Event, capital B, capital E.
And like all Big Events, you gotta have food. But for the Big Event, you need Big Food, not sissy hors d'oeurvres - Guy Food. The kind of stuff you can wrap your big hands around and get serious with. The kind of food that drips down your chin requiring a big napkin before you're tempted to use your sleeve.
This menu follows my 90/10 rule. 90% of the time, we eat healthfully - very conscientious of what we are choosing to fuel our bodies with. The other 10% of the time, we eat stuff like this - fun, celebratory food that is okay every once in
Here's the practical side of things - we all know who will be making this Big Food, right? So let's get a fun menu together that's fun to eat with minimal fuss.
Recipe 1: Bean dip and chips
Recipe 2: Presto Change-o Chex Mix
Recipe 3: Cheesy Potato Skins
Recipe 4: Crock-Pot Shredded Beef Sandwiches
Recipe5: Chinese Coleslaw
Recipe 6: Fudge Brownie Pie
Bean Dip and Chips
Makes a Lot
I buy the Frito Lay bean dip in a can (remember the
And a bag of your favorite chips
Transfer the bean dip to a serving bowl. Do the same with the chips. You can dress it up a bit by adding chopped green peppers, sour cream, salsa, jalapeños, or olives.
DO AHEAD TIP: This mix can be made two days ahead of time and stored in a sealed container at room temperature.
Presto Chang-O Chex Mix
Makes a Lot
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups Corn Chex cereal
2 cups Rice Chex cereal
2 cups Wheat Chex cereal3/4 cup mixed nuts
2 cups raisins
2 cups M & M’s
2 cups Pepperidge Farm goldfish
2 cups pretzels (I like the little waffle
looking ones for this)
Preheat oven to 250. Heat butter in a 13"x9" baking pan in the oven till butter is melted. Remove and stir in seasoned salt and Worcestershire. Add the Chex and nuts. Mix until all is coated then bake in the same 250 degree oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so (use your timer!) until nicely browned. Let cool spread out on a paper towel. When it’s all cooled, you can add the remaining ingredients and mix up really well.
Cheesy Potato Skins
Makes 8 skins
4 large Russet potatoes, baked and cooled
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Hot Topicsdiet, weight loss, fitness, motivation, abs, restaurants, health, calories, stress, challenge, gyms, support, goals, points, exercise, metabolism, food, recipe
Most Popular Searches
Most Popular Blogs» Longer, Leaner Thighs: 5 Best Exercises
» We Announce The Challenge WINNER!
» Best Vitamins Dieters Not Getting
» The Dangerous Escape Food Provides
» Janel Hits The Farmers Market
Highest Rated Blogs» Step Out of Your Comfort Zone
» Portion Control Tools - Our Top Picks!
» Walking Promotes Normal Memory Health
» It's Easy Eating Green
» Spicy Turkey Lettuce Wraps!