I went to the farmer's market yesterday and bought the most gorgeous pink grapefruit. I always find that when my kids get to try samples of new fruits or vegetables at the farmer's market, they're much more open minded about eating them at home. Pink grapefruit is no exception. Kenya and Chloe love the family of farmers who we buy avocados, limes and passion fruit from, so when one of them offered my little ones a taste of pink grapefruit there was little doubt in my mind that they would enjoy it.
I've been making this super healthy parfait for breakfast a lot lately -- since grapefruit and oranges are in season -- but Kenya has started asking for it for dessert, too. Smooth, tangy, crunchy and sweet, this dish stimulates all of a kid's taste buds as well as being gorgeous to boot.
1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Tbsp Honey
2 Small Oranges and/or Grapefruit, sectioned
1/4 Cup Grape-Nuts Cereal
1. Place yogurt and honey in a bowl and combine.
2. In a small glass cup, place 1/4 cup of the yogurt mixture.
3. Layer some cut sections of oranges and/or grapefruit and 1 tbsp of Grape-Nuts.
4. Add another 1/4 cup of the yogurt mixture on top of the fruit and Grape-Nuts and layer again with more fruit and Grape-Nuts.
5. Repeat to make the second parfait.
Catherine McCord launched Weelicious in 2007, providing a solution to parents' hectic lives by showing them how to cook recipes that are kid-friendly, quick and nutritious.