- Diet Plans
- Weight Loss Community
Mother's Day is right around the corner! What better way to celebrate mom than to enjoy a great breakfast with the whole family? If you're planning on brunching it up to celebrate, here are a few survival tips to keep your diet on track but still be able to enjoy all the deliciousness that brunches have to offer :)
- Load up your plate with healthier options first. The less room you have for the higher calorie stuff on your first trip to the buffet, the less calories you'll consume and the quicker you'll get to work on triggering that "full" feeling.
- Choose Smart. Healthier options to choose first: Fresh fruit, oatmeal, eggs or an omelet stuffed with veggies, lean meats such as sliced ham, turkey sausage or bacon, whole wheat toast, yogurt, cottage cheese and veggies, cooked or raw. If possible, ask for French toast on whole wheat bread and stick with 2 slices. Also, if possible, choose light syrup and limit the butters/margarines/cream cheeses.
- Indulge. There's no reason to totally avoid the dessert table or the fun foods. What I would suggest is keeping unhealthier options to one piece/serving and picking your top two favorite desserts to enjoy. Try and go back for these things on your second pass because chances are you'll be less starved and have better control sticking with portions.
- Drink up... water that is! Limit your liquid calories so you can really enjoy your food calories. Stick with coffee, tea or water for your primary beverage choices to keep those calories in check.
- Get moving. After a morning of indulging, you'll most likely feel tired, stuffed and ready for a nap. Resist the urge to lie down and suggest that the whole family get moving and go for a walk to burn off some of those calories.
- Make it yourself. There's always the option of having a homemade brunch where you can have a lot more control over what you consume and what goes into the recipes.
Happy Mother's Day to all those mothers out there!
Want personalized diet and nutrition advice from Meghan, our Diet.com Registered Dietitian? Upgrade your Diet.com account to Premium to have unlimited, one-on-one consultations with her!
Bonus: Use coupon code DIETBLOG to receive 20% off your Premium membership if you upgrade!