Exercise list - my typical day..     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike99

Total Posts: 203

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Exercise list - my typical day.. Reply with quote

For today - for my body,
- Did 15 mile peddle bike ride (1 hour).
- Swam in my oldest son's above ground pool (1 hour).
- My wife & I racked our lawn (1 hour). This time, way too much grass clippings for our lawn mower's attached bagger.
- Did 10 push ups and 40 sit ups (in morning at break time).
- Did 45 minutes on my TM @ 5% incline at 3.2 mph with 3 lb hand weights.
- Did 10 push ups and 40 sit ups (in evening).
- Did 515 steps - on stationary stepper machine.
- Did 15 minutes on stationary glider - for warm down after stepper machine.

In all, average of 3.5+ hours of structured exercise today. If wondering, typical Mon to Friday day for me....

On the weekends (if weather is great at our seasonal camp site), I really "crank up the juice" (sort of speaking). On average, each day I do 20 mile peddle bike rides, jogging 2 miles and canoeing / kayaking 4 hours and of course. "lots of walking".

What is your "average day" exercise list?

Just wondering....

ollieseh

Total Posts: 264

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! That is some list!
I am a working mother with very little time, so this is my breakdown over a week.

3 times a week - 45 min. cardio with 30 min weight training at the gym

1 time a week - double cardio at the gym

1 time a week - yoga/pilates class for one hour at the gym

Usually Saturdays and the days when I do double cardio and the class I do mat work at home for abs and legs and I also use a resistance cord with a dvd for about 30 min. if I have time.

I always take one day a week off from the gym and home exercise - I find that this gives me renewed energy when I go back to the gym

Anyway, that is my routine - I continue to change the intensity and the routine so that things never get boring or lose their effectiveness.

Patty -
"Seeds of discouragement cannot grow in a grateful heart."
Spike99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By end of today, my body will have completed:
- 15 mile peddle bike ride (1 hour) - just heading out the door now.
- 2 miles on roller blades with my son (1 hour) - at lunch time.
- 10 push ups and 40 sit ups (in morning at break time).
- 45 minutes on my TM @ 5% incline at 3.2 mph with 3 lb hand weights. Will do this tonight.
- 10 push ups and 40 sit ups (in evening).
- 300-500 steps - on stationary stepper machine.
- 15 minutes on stationary glider - for warm down after stepper machine.

Today, I loved today's roller blading session. My 13 year old son & I got caught in the rain and by the time we got back, we were both soacked. Great for future memories.

Another "repeat simular pattern" typical day - for my body...

tigersi

Total Posts: 770

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! You two are awesome! I don't have any children and I still have trouble working exercise into my daily routine! You guys are so inspirational!!

Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

THOMAS ALVA EDISON
Sophie Hatter

Total Posts: 75

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Finding time for exercise Reply with quote

I think that you find time for exercise as your need for exercise goes up. Spike was basically told shape up or be shipped out. That gives you an incentive that a mirror will never give.

Depending on my schedule, I will do 30 min - 1 hour of yoga 5 days a week.

I peddle twice a week 30 min, once at home before my meetings and once in evening at the gym. The day at the gym I usually also weight train for 30 min.

I swim once a week for an hour. If it is a good week I will play racquetball for an hour too.

Over the weekend I use my chores to make up my exercise. Shopping, gardening, cleaning house makes up my weekend.

There are weeks where it all goes out the door and I am lucky to get the yoga and weekend chores in.

My schedule can't hold anymore. Spike talks of exercising over lunch and over breaks which I do not get on a regular basis. If sometimes lunch is munched over email that's one thing. My lunch is typically during a meeting or while I reading email or reviewing. I can't really add cardio to any of these endeavors (though it might be interesting to rollerblade around the table during a meeting).

We won't even talk about breaks. I have many days where my break is the 5 minutes I am late to my next meeting because I had to go to the bathroom (biobreaks).

Would I reschedule my life if my life depended on it? Probably, as much as I could. But it would only be because I also changed my priorities and in some ways my identity. I am Sophie the manager and I am Sophie the wife and Sophie the mom. Sophie the healthy person gets fourth billing at best. When my spouse was hit by a truck and his back was broken Sophie the wife and mom took over and work dealt with it. Things were missed at work while I was at home dealing with the fall out of the accident. But my family beats work.

I know that someday Sophie the healthy person has to beat work too, but I am not there yet.

Sophie.
Spike99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I completed:
- 15 mile peddle bike ride.
- 40 situps
- 15 push ups
- 300 steps on stepper machine.
- Did 15 minutes of skipping rope as well.

Just heading into my son's pool - for 1 hour fun and lots of laps. I like swimming laps under water the best.

Tonight, will:
- perform 45 minutes on my TM.
- 40 situps
- 10 pushups.

Wanted to cut the grass today with our push behind push mower but my middle son volunteered instead.

Too much time for all this "stuff"???? From one person to another, do make the time. If one can "make the time" to look after a baby, or a pet, or give to their boss, then one can easily make the time to keep their own body in shape. Why do people give themselves lower priority then many other things in life??? Your life (and your improvement lifestyle) should be your number 1 priority. Something I learned the hard way...

Hope this helps others as well...

Sophie Hatter

Total Posts: 75

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Like I said... Reply with quote

Like I said, Sophie the healthy person gets fourth billing.

Especially when my entire group has to work 10 hour days. Even if I were there 15 hours I wouldn't get it all done.

And the dishes need washing; food needs cooking; clothes need folding. The house doesn't take care of itself. I won't even talk about yard work at the moment.

It is nice that you have 3 - 4 hours to spend taking care of yourself. You found the time because you had to. I will do what I can in the time I have available, but I am not going to beat myself up because I don't find 3.5+ hours to work out. That takes more time that 15 push ups and 40 sit ups together. Smile

I spend about 10 hours a week on exercise. And I spend about 5 hours a week reading the news. I spend about 5 hours a week on reading for pleasure and internet stuff (like this). Better to do what you can than say Oh I can't work out for an hour therefore I will sit like a lump for 20 minutes.

Sophie
Spike99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it isn't about "making more time". Its about combining one's time &/or using one's availble time more efficiently.

During the last 6 months, I had to attend a few courses - for my current office job. Of the 15 students in class, I was the only one who brought my own lunch box (in my son's SMURF lunch box). All others ate the "junk food" at the hotel cafe or they ate down the street - at a fast food place. During 1 hour lunch time, I ate my lunch (which was 1 x WW sandwich with Tuna and 1 apple with 1 glass of water). For the other 45 minutes, I walked up/down the stairs. 14 flights of stairs for 45 minutes. When I got back to class, we still had to wait 10 minutes - for some of the other students to return. Talk about time wasting. To me, its NOT about "making more time" for one's daily exercises. Its about using one's existing available time more efficiently. Thus, I "did the stairs" while they sat on their tails.

At my city work location, I always walk up/down 2 flights of stairs to use the photo copier. And when I go for breaks, I walk down/up the stairs. Yes, 19 flights of stairs down, turn around, then walk back up. I no longer take the elevator - like all the others. Not enough time???? How long does a "smoker" take on their breaks? I can go up/down the 19 flights of stairs (and get more fit) while they go outside and destroying their lungs. And, my body's overall health is increased at the same time.

At my home office, I always do a physical event during lunch time. 15 mile (1 hour) peddle bike ride, 45 minutes on the TM or 300 steps (on my stepper machine). Thus, using my "available time" more efficiently. Yes. I get 1 hour lunch time and use every minute of it. After all, it is "my time".

When I drive to my city office or a store (where a small bag of items will be bought), I purposely park on the far side of the parking lot. Especially when the weather is great. Thus, I'm forcing my body to walk more. And while walking, I look around to enjoy the moment. Being "rushed" all the time isn't good stress. Thus, gain/gain on both health increase fronts.

When possible, I use my push mower to cut the grass as well. And when neighbors are on vacation, I cut their grass as well. Takes only 4 short hours to cut both lawns. That's 4 hours of walking - to improve my overall body health as well. Sometimes, my wife cuts our home's grass using our push mower as well. Especially when I'm on business trips. Thus, she gets a "work out" as well.

Hope these "better time management to force more daily exercise" ideas help as well...

ollieseh

Total Posts: 264

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that I could use some of my time more efficiently and you have given me some great ideas Spike!

For me though at work it is important to put some of my time into relationships - friendships! I think this is very important too!!! It is a way for me to manage stress and to have a balanced life.

I want a balanced life with food.....a balanced life with exercise/fitness........a balanced life with people. Most of my adult life has been spent unbalanced - everyone else has always been first and I have come to a place where I am trying and I think succeeding to find a balance.

I really appreciate reading other people's views because it always helps me to refine my own!!

Thanks for the great dialogue!!

Patty -
"Seeds of discouragement cannot grow in a grateful heart."
bitemeviciously

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the day.

Lately my friend and I have been going to the gym on mondays and wensdays.

Mondays;
Stretching.
45 minutes on the bike.
30 minutes of running
20 minutes of stairs
3 reps of 25 of pull ups
4 reps of 5 of push ups

To make it more interesting and get something out of it, not being lazy we usually challenge each other. Loser has to do something for the other.

Tuesdays;
Volleyball.
I have volleyball practice from 2:45 to 5:45. Usually we do stretching. Our coach usually has us run around for a while, do zig zags, jump and touch the top of the net. Do some warm ups then we have a break then we just practice on the side lines until we are put onto the court.

Wensdays;
Wensday me and my friend are usually back at the gym. We use this more as our weight day. And usually spend most of our time in there, no really set schedule yet though.

Thursdays;
Same as tuesdays.

Fridays;
I have tennis practice. We do stretching and so on and just do some drills. Then just play on the court. Nothing special really.

I just got my gym membership, I hope it actually works out. =)
ikasarimulyani

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like overtraining...it might produce a reverse effect spike...
rar3kain

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just starting my diet...and im really out of shape so i usually just go for a 30 min walk in the morning and evening...then maybe ill ride my bike for a bit...when im not too sore from the last weight lifting session i throw in some weight training.
Spike99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rar3kain.

Definitely... start slow and keep increasing the task intensity or task time every other week. After dinner tonight, I let my full tummy rest for 15-20 minutes. Then, I hopped on our basement TM and watched a good 1 hour long movie. re: 4% incline at 3.2 mph "walk" for 45 minutes. While waiting for tonight's dinner to cook, I did 50 sit-ups using a large ball - which is always in our living room (beside our kitchen). Simply hooked my toes under the large sofa chair and did 50 reverse back arch sit-ups - across the top of the large ball. Tonight while brushing my teeth, I'll do 50 Raised Calves - at the same time. Slow and steady... And,. always doing exercise at the same time.

Hope these "in parallel" ideas help others as well...

workingmoms21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me as a working mom.
I am all stress all day long. So, I woke up early and jog. So that mt energy will be boost and also I ate enough meals more on fruits.

Thank you also to your advices!
See this also, truly, it can help you working mother
minisnare11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ok... your really making me feel like an under achiever! I only manage around a half hour walk and about 20 minutes yoga a day. I sometimes include a 30 minute cardio routine once a week... i think i need to get moving!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com