How important is fruit in your diet?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atwistedlime

Total Posts: 398

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: How important is fruit in your diet? Reply with quote

I am very curious how important fresh fruit is to my diet. I eat tons of veggies. I love spinach, broccoli and asparagus. I eat at least 4 servings of veggies a day. I am trying to squeeze in more but I just canít bring myself to eat veggies before noon. I am working on it.

Anyway I love fruit when it is in season. I eat it by the fist fulls all spring and summer and some in the fall. In the winter though I notice that I slack off because I either canít bring myself to pay painful amounts for something fresh and good or I donít want to eat the crappy flavorless fruit that is available. So I go weeks at times with no fresh fruit.

Is this bad? I take my multi-vitamin and I still eat plenty of veggies in the winter but I just tend to skip the fruit or grab the pre-packaged sugar free peaches.

Should I be making more of an effort to find fresh fruit all year? Or is it ok for my body to take a break?

Leslie

Marathon runners don't worry about the conditions, they just run anyway
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A balanced diet is important. Berries (which you can buy year round in the frozen section) are particularly good for your cholesteral and full of wonderful nutrients! Try frozen fruit in smoothies.

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1042

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm frozen fruit smoothies! Yummy! Very Happy

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
Rozovichak

Total Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ghgoddess,

The simple answer is YES - fruit is important...

BUT, if you're eating a lot of veg - veg are better than fruit (less sugars in most cases) so you're actually pretty ok.

Now, with regards to substitutes that are a lot cheaper than winter fruits, you can try finding yourself canned fruit. It is arguably not as good as the fresh versions, but it is close enough in nutritional values, it is a lot cheaper, and there's a great variety all year round.

There is a catch! Rolling Eyes

Make sure you choose fruit in water, or its own brine - not in syrup.

Also, try and get the the version without added sugar or preservatives.

I agree with steffeysue - frozen fruits are a great alternative too.

Just stay away from the dried sugary variety fruits as much as possible.

Hope that helps Smile

P.S. Fruit smoothies may sound like a good alternative but I disagree. It will usually take 2 - 3 medium sized fruits to make one. So think about it - when will you, in a normal sitting, eat 2 to 3 medium size fruits at one go?
Stormy Moon

Total Posts: 686

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruit satisfies my urge for something sweet. Bananas, blueberries, pears, red delicious apples, watermelon are all sweet enough for me that I can eat them as a dessert instead of something full of fat and sugar. Maybe you can try fruit for desert? Very Happy

XO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com