Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live Plan     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craig98204

Total Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live Plan Reply with quote

I've been eating healthy for almost two months now and decided that I wanted to lose weight through nutrition and not by going on some "fad" diet like Atkins, South Beach, or others.

I was doing really well, but I felt that my new, healthy way of eating could still use some fine tuning so I started doing some research which led me to Dr. Fuhrman's book "Eat to Live." The "plan" is based on eating plant-based nutrient dense, highly nutritious whole foods. You can eat as many vegetables as you want and four servings of fruit per day and one serving of nuts and seeds. Protein is derived from legumes because the "plan" highly recommends eliminating animal products and dairy (because of fat and cancer-causing properties) but the doctor does provide menu options for those who choose to eat lean meats like chicken, fish, or lean beef.

As a self-professed carnivore, I really appreciate that Dr. Fuhrman doesn't come across as some self-righteous, holier-than-thou vegan who thinks that anyone who eats meat is a bad person. He simply provides medical research that shows that eating meat can have a negative impact on your health and leaves it up to you whether or not you want to take that risk.

What I especially like about this way of eating is that it doesn't feel like a "diet" and I will never go hungry. It is not a diet, but a new way of eating that promotes wellness and good health. It reduces risk of heart disease, diabetes, and promotes weight management.

For more information, check it out! Visit: drfuhrman.com
ready_to_soar

Total Posts: 148

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This plan sounds good, but I'm not comfortable about eliminating dairy.

South beach is not considered a fad diet. It was recommended to me by my doctor, but I didn't actually follow it. I was tired of plans so I decided to just try making healthier choices.

Stormy Moon

Total Posts: 686

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South beach is really a good plan that can teach you how to eat healthier. It stresses healthy carbs rather than no carbs and gives you a plan you can follow for life. I don't like it because it requires you to give up fruit for the first two weeks. I can't part with fruit!! Very Happy

XO
SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried or looked too hard at Eat to Live, but I get the messages from a fat-free vegan group and that plan gets mentioned frequently.

How are you doing with it, Craig98204?

Mindle

wanttodo

Total Posts: 205

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: his program Reply with quote

I was with you until you said elimate dairy products. Fat free milk is one of the most perfect foods for us. How do you get calcuim? ...Judy

SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to get calcium from other sources than dairy, some of which actually have more calcium than dairy products. It appears naturally in some vegetables, but the biggest sources are things like tofu, soymilk, and orange juice that are fortified with calcium.

Mindle

kgreene938

Total Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: protein/calcium Reply with quote

He also recommends taking nutritional supplements, he understands that this doesn't fully provide what you'll need so vitamin & minerals are okayed, I don't remember if it's in the book but it was on the FAQ on his website awhile back. It's hard to stick with at first, but after you get into it and start feeling better and seeing results, you know it's worth it.

I like that it's a sensible plan by a sensible guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com