Emotional Eating     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Emotional Eating Reply with quote

A Diet.com Member Asked:

Hello Shauna I just started Diet.com. I have 10 lbs. to lose. I love working out and I love healthy food, howeveer I am an emotional eater. That has always been my biggest challenge. My main trigger is when I am stressed out or bored. Can you offer me any bit of advice to stop me in my tracks when this emotion kicks in. It seems like after I have done the damage I then say gosh I could have done this or done that. I know the obvious things I could do but at the time I just know that what ever I reach for is instant gratification. I need a new instant gratification. ha ha! Please let me know at your convienence your advice. Thankyou so much!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

Welcome! As you mentioned, the key is catching the emotional response. One great tool I would recommend is to use your strategies for emotional eating (you can find coping strategies under the Personality tab). If your dominant eating pattern is not an emotional eater, then you can still use these strategies by changing your eating pattern at the bottom of the page. These are very helpful and can be done at your own pace.

I also recommend keeping a food and mood journal, you can use the trackers here at Diet.com. Recording what you eat along with how you are feeling is a very powerful tool and allows you connect the food with the emotion before the response of eating happens. Once you notice your response, you can have an action plan in place! I find that painting my nails or taking a quick 10 minutes walk helps get my mind off snacking.

You can also try posting reminders where you will see them or a list of alternative activities. Another motivating tool is to keep a list of all the wonderful changes you have made (no matter how big or small) in your calendar along with a few things you would like to work on. Noticing your positives and planning ahead will help with motivation and progress.

I am sure Dr. Diet would have some great ideas too! You can email him by private message or in the Coaching Corner.

Take Care,

RDShauna

DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might find a blog I wrote on emotional eating to be helpful as well. Here is the link: http://www.diet.com/dietblogs/read_blog_by_poster.php?uid=7208&page=4&blsp=Dietitian+Express.

RDShauna

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com