Tasty Apple Recipies ...     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyceh

Total Posts: 592

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Tasty Apple Recipies ... Reply with quote

I admit I am on the internet alot, I get so bored at my job which is about 80% of doing nothing. So I frequent MSN / Yahoo excetra for news/diet tips/ recipies or whatever seems interesting ...

Today on the MSN homepage there was a link for tasty apple recipies. I though MMM sounds nice ... Click the link and I get :

Apple pie
Apple Cider Doughnuts
Apple Butter
Brown Sugar Baked Apples
Carmel Candied Apples
Roasted Apples with Salted Mapple Cream
Carmel Apple Cookies
Excetra .....

And some stuff that may be healthy, but I was just wondering why they put a link up that sounds like you might be getting some good for you healthy stuff only to find it is a LONG list of suggary unhealthy stuff. They should have paid one of their "experts" a few bucks to compile a list of "tasty and healthy apple dishes" because goodness knows people do not have time to go through 113 recipies that contain apples to find something better for them!

Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because a lot of people can't imagine eating a fruit in a way that doesn't involve sugar. We're so inured to the amount of sugar in our processed foods that things that aren't loaded with sugars don't taste right.

God forbid anyone should just eat an apple without caramel/maple/sugar! Why not a recipe for a healthier crisp (using steel-cut oats as a topping and berries to add more sweetness), herb-baked fruit, or a low-sugar fruit compote?

Sometimes, you just have to dream stuff up yourself. Try making baked apples with apple pie type spices and just a little sugar, for example. Or you could make a really tasty fruit tart with a whole-wheat crust using sweeter fruits as well as the apples.

But then, I love to play in the kitchen!

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
dalyceh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to bake alot, never was much of a cook most of my stuff ends up tasteing aweful unless it came from a really good (and forgiving) recipie. I think Apples are great without sugar! I'll stick to my plain ol granny smiths no nothing added lol!

Bird77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are my favorite apples too Very Happy

I like the tartness of them. That little tang just makes them so satisfying and refreshing, and they have such a good crunch, too.

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
astrum

Total Posts: 22

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine had me try something yesterday. i looked at it. and it looked like wood chips. lol it was some apple chips... supprise supprise they tasted really good. so i told her she had to show me the bag thinking they probably had lots of added sugar and stuff like that. and i was even more shocked to find out they had NO added ingredents!!!!! it was only apples.. so anyway now i've found a new favorite healthy snack that i can eat when i'm craving potato chips. they have them at Sam's club and it's called Bare Fruit, 100% organic apple chips. i like that they crunch similer to potato chips.. but i don't have to worry about what i'm eating!

Bird77

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Google search for "apple chips recipe" yielded quite a few results.

- Elbert Hubbard
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is a dehydrator. There are lots on the market. AND if you have one, you can use it for all kinds of fruit. Really handy, you can buy bulk and dehydrate!!

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
Sara_Toth

Total Posts: 123

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I CANNOT find a dehydrator anywhere for the life of me.

dalyceh

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I am the bigest fan of Wal-mart ... but they do have everything (mostly) for reasonable prices (usually)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1120727

My mom also bought one at costco once.

dalyceh

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!

rmanley5

Total Posts: 394

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger a friend of mine made a dehydrator with screening, wood and some light fixtures. It was reasonably cheap and made tons of dehydrated foods. It had several racks to put the food on it and slowly dried them. Maybe there are directions out there for this kind of thing if someone is crafty.

Sara_Toth

Total Posts: 123

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetera why don't you buy one online at shopzilla? I just looked there and most were under $80.

steffeysue

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with your hunting and camping stores! Surely some of those exist in the UK. I bet you can find a small one in one of these stores, even in the UK!! LOL

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
steffeysue

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I figured that if you had enough pounds, (either in terms of money or the weight you could throw around) you could still do some hunting!! LOL We have two dehydrators! All you squeamish people please stop reading here .. . . .we can make an entire white-tail deer into jerky with the two that we have. I also dehydrate fruit and some veggies, like onions, garlic and peppers as well as fresh herbs that I grow. Anyway, the idea is that they are pretty big. You can get much smaller ones in the neighborhood of about $39 in the "outdoor" stores!

dalyceh

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I would assume the UK is similar to the US in items I guess I was completly wrong! We have so many gadgets and toys for the kitchen here it isn't even funny! My boyfriend wishes I would stop buying them!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com