How much cardio?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BookGirl217

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: How much cardio? Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as too much cardio?

I generally run for about an hour a day on the treadmill. It works out to be about 5-6 miles. I have read several posts from others that suggests 90 minutes of cardio for effective weight loss. The other day I went 90 minutes on the treadmill. After I got home, I felt like I had the flu. I was nauseous, cold, tired, and weak. The feeling went away after a few hours. Is there any connection between how I was feeling and my increased cardio time?

I am not working out for hours at a time like many professional athletes do and my calorie intake is normal.

Also, I am trying to lose some weight. Although I am losing some weight, my measurements have not decreased. Is this normal?
ptwonline

Total Posts: 140

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know *exactly* how you feel. I went from 40 mins/day on the treadmill in mid-November to 100 minutes a day by the end of November. Lots of exercise...but it was too much. At the end of a workout I would feel fine, but then after I cooled down a bit I would feel terrible for a few hours, and barely recovered physically by the time to work out again the next day.

I was doing 40 minutes very hard (for me), and then 50-60 minutes slightly slower to build up endurance and burn calories, and then about 10-15 minutes each of weights and a stationary bike.

Now I have cut back down to 65-70 minutes on the treadmill, still going very hard for about 40 minutes and then slowing down a bit, and still doing about 15 mins each on the bike and weights. I feel SO much better now, and I am quickly picking up speed on the treadmill.

So 100 minutes was too much for me too soon, just like it looks like 90 minutes was too much for you too soon. I will build my way back up to 100 but a bit more slowly this time, and likely not do that much every day.

kellyholly86

Total Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: for 90 min????? Reply with quote

i researced for effective cardio you only need to work out for about 22 to 23 minutes. thats enough for me. i do cardio and then i walk and then i do a hundred sit ups. that seems to be working for me. i think that 90 minutes of cardio a day could wear the body out?? let me know if i am wrong
Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The formula is 60-90 minutes of moderate activity. Running is considered to be a fairly high-intensity activity, so you don't need to spend as much time doing it. That 90 minutes of treadmill running is more than you need to do generally. If you're training for something, sure, you might, but even most runners in training don't do 90 minutes every day.

Yes, how you felt came from making that jump too fast. You have to work up to that kind of intensity!

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
karen1123

Total Posts: 815

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45 minutes to an hour would be enough depending on what form you are doing. I do walk aerobics for an hour 6 days a week. Another thing to remember is you should not be exhausting yourself.

Karen

Don\'t go out of your weigh to please anyone but yourself.

Fitqueen

Total Posts: 34

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: How much cardio? Reply with quote

BookGirl217 wrote:
Is there such a thing as too much cardio?

I generally run for about an hour a day on the treadmill. It works out to be about 5-6 miles. I have read several posts from others that suggests 90 minutes of cardio for effective weight loss. The other day I went 90 minutes on the treadmill. After I got home, I felt like I had the flu. I was nauseous, cold, tired, and weak. The feeling went away after a few hours. Is there any connection between how I was feeling and my increased cardio time?

I am not working out for hours at a time like many professional athletes do and my calorie intake is normal.

Also, I am trying to lose some weight. Although I am losing some weight, my measurements have not decreased. Is this normal?

Yes, there IS such a thing as too much cardio...and if you're body is showing symptoms of overtraining, it's telling you, "Hey! This is too much! We need to slow down here!" If you continue, that flu-like feeling you had won't go away after a few hours- it will persist and become a chronic condition. It's called, "overtraining syndrome". If you're really pushing yourself, no more than 4 cardio workouts per week are necessary. In any case, whenever your body throws you feedback like that, it makes sense to listen! When we exercise, we are actually BREAKING DOWN our bodies. The response from the body is to repair the damage, and adapt the tissues so that they become stronger and fitter. This is how you become fit. It is a process of breaking down, and then building up. However, if you don't give your body enough time to build back up again, you just keep breaking it down, over and over again, until you spiral downwards into physical illness because your body cannot recover. Once you reach that point, you can kiss weeks of valuable training time goodbye, because full-blown overtraining syndrome is not something you can just sleep off in a few days.
How much is "too much" varies from person to person. There are people that can tollerate 5 miles 6 days a week, and then there are people who get sick if they run more than 3 miles 4 times a week..."Too much" can happen not only when you reach your personal capacity, but when you try to progress too quickly. Too much too soon is bad. Gradual progress, over months and years is the only way to build yourself up to higher tollerances without making yourself ill. Periodization is a must if you're interested in increasing your performance. For example, you could have a lighter, beginning stage that lasts a few weeks, a challenging intermediate stage that lasts several weeks, then a "peaking" period where you really give it your all and reach for new distances and faster running times. Then, you might take a week off. Then the cycle starts again. You could have cycles within the cycle...(ex. Mon. distance, Tue, rest, Wed. speed work/sprinting Thur. off, Fri. middle-distance timed, Sat off, Sun off.)
Anyway, if you're trying to lose fat, you'd be better off cutting back some of that cardio and adding in weights instead. Lean muscle not only looks awesome, but it burns more fat than cardio alone!
forgetful_katrina

Total Posts: 90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Here's what I found... Reply with quote

...regarding exercise requirements for weight loss.

"The authors of the study suggest that 150 minutes/week of moderate-intensity exercise is sufficient for weight loss, but progressing to 60 minutes of exercise on most days would be more beneficial."

Another article states "In a University of Pittsburgh study, 191 overweight women exercised for 150 to 300 minutes a week; the ones who averaged 290 minutes weekly lost up to 30 pounds--twice as much as the women who did only 150 minutes a week and nearly six times as much as those who logged even less time."

It says the women also kept their calorie intake to 1500. It went on to give advice about slowly increasing your exercise time.

I don't know if I am allowed to post a link to an article on another site, I found these at Prevention. Maybe quoting here is worse than linking, I don't know! Anyone?

LesMoo

Total Posts: 797

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linking is just fine Smile

Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's never been an issue with non-commercial links. Many of us post links to articles or useful sites. The issue is when it's an attempt to sell a product, not to share valuable information Smile

As for those figures: that's for moderate intensity. Running is generally considered high intensity for the purposes of most studies. Higher intensity=less time needed. They're totally bang-on on the need to increase gradually too. You can't demand a 50% increase (like in the original post) and expect your body to just do it. You have to build up--that's a huge part of training for any sport.

Just a note, too. Higher intensity also means you often need more calories. I'm maintaining my weight with a calorie intake well over 2000/day because I'm averaging 60-90 minutes of exercise per day (generally quite high intensity, too).

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
forgetful_katrina

Total Posts: 90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bird77 wrote:
There's never been an issue with non-commercial links. Many of us post links to articles or useful sites. The issue is when it's an attempt to sell a product, not to share valuable information Smile

Thank you! And also thanks for pointing out the need to adjust the numbers if you are talking about high intensity vs moderate intensity. Sometimes the most obvious things escape me! Very Happy

gwendela

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: How much cardio? Reply with quote

You only need 20-25min of cardio a day for your heart and to maintain your weight, if you are trying to lose weight all you need is 45 min max, anything after that your burning muscle, I train people at the gym here in Barrie, ont.. you need at least 1800 cal a day to keep the body working i.e your organs and such never drop below 1200calories a day not good! hope that helps.
ptwonline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cardio? Reply with quote

gwendela wrote:
You only need 20-25min of cardio a day for your heart and to maintain your weight, if you are trying to lose weight all you need is 45 min max, anything after that your burning muscle, I train people at the gym here in Barrie, ont.. you need at least 1800 cal a day to keep the body working i.e your organs and such never drop below 1200calories a day not good! hope that helps.

Obviously it's not as simple as "all you need is 45 min max, anything after that your burning muscle".

As you undoubtedly know, aerobic vs anaerobic also matters, and depending on what you are doing and for how long, the body will get it's energy from carbs, muscles, and fat in different ratios.

You do make an important point about maintaining a decent calorie-intake. Go too low and the body will go into starvation mode, and actually break down muscles instead of fat for energy. Muscle takes a lot more energy to maintain than fat, and so if the body thinks it is being starved, naturally it will get rid of the tissue that requires more energy!

gwendela

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cardio? Reply with quote

I teach fitness here and train as well... sorry I didn't go into such detail with my posting today, but it was just for general info.

I am certified and well educated with fitness, it's my life trust me!

hope you reach your goal!
chrissy75

Total Posts: 56

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion and from what i've read and heard about, when trying to lose weight, just cardio is not going to help... try doing cardio one day, weights another day, abs and floor routines another day, then back to cardio... when trying to lose weight, you need all forms of exercise and work all the muscles and stuff.... I do mostly light weights, ab stuff, core workouts, and leg stuff... i do cardio once in a while by either dancing or walking, or something.... so, try other forms of exercise too, especially ab stuff..hope this helps....
ptwonline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to add some detail to what others have said:

Aerobic/cardio activity definitely burns fat, but it also burns some muscle as well. That is why it is important to include some strength training/anaerobic exercise because otherwise you lose too much lean (muscle) mass and your metabolism will drop, making it harder to keep the weight off.

Just like with eating, balance is probably best! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com