Some random food questions!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zomo

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Some random food questions! Reply with quote

Hey all! Recently I've been watching what I eat more carefully, and so have been pondering about food and ingredients and all the things I put in my body. So I have a few questions to ask if anyone can shed any light on the things I was wondering.

1. Is houmous bad for me? I make it all the time but my friends tell me it is very fattening. I have heard this echoed a few times but have no idea why. I mix chick peas, garlic, lemon and water together.. none of which i thought was particularly fatty. 0_o

2. I was looking at the jelly sweet packets in the supermarket today to see what was in them and discovered they have pretty much no fat in them. So is it hard to gain weight on those sweets? I'm sure sugar makes you fat, but sugar in itself isn't fatty. I know carbohydrates aren't good to have too much of, but why? Is it less fattening to eat chocolates or those sweets? I'm confused.

3. I love fruit! But I was wondering.. since fruits have got substance to them, is it possible to get fat off fruits? People say you can eat fruits as much as you want, is it because the sheer volume of fruits you'd need to eat in a day to get fat from it is humanly impossible?

4. My ex boyfriend was a vegetarian and used to eat those fake Quorn meats. I'm not much of a meat eater myself, not for any particular reason, I just prefer other foods. I don't like to eat fat or skin so I actually found I preferred Quorn to real meat. My question is which is better for weight loss, real meat or quorn? Aside from what i suppose is a lack of protein from it I have an inkling that meat is healthier as quorn is processed, but does it make any difference weight loss wise?

Thanks and I'm sorry to harass you with these random thoughts on food.
vkanavos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Random food questions answered.. Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert but from what I know,

1. I wouldn't consider hummus to be bad for you. Chickpeas actually help lower cholesteral and work as an antioxidant, so from that standpoint they are a pretty decent food choice.
As with everything in life, moderation is key. Eat enough chickpeas and they become a high-calorie meal not to mention Carb-heavy. Another word on the hummus: what are you eating the hummus with. If you're eating it with chips and pita bread, it becomes quite an unhealthy snack. If you are eating it with vegetables than its not as bad ( I eat my hummus either with carrots, celery, or bell peppers)
2. the answer to this question is a little tricky. perhaps an easier approach to deciding if something bad or good is checking out the calories in it (make sure to take note of what a serving size is). after looking at the number of calories you're taking in, i think it becomes important to make sure that these calories are balanced.. 2,000 calories of chocolate is not the same as 2,000 calories of vegetables, fruits, grains, etc.

3.fruits do have calories in them, but nowhere near as much as other foods. Most fruits range from 50-100 calories a serving. Again though this dosnt mean you should eat only fruit. It's all about having a balanced diet.

4. I used to be a vegetarian. I have never tried the meat substitutes you referenced. But in my experience brands like Boca and morning star have found a way to make meat substitutes healthy and tasty. Check the back of the package and compare to the nutrition info of the actual meat that the product is substituting..
zomo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that fantastic response!

I wonder if with the fake meats it is unhealthier just purely due to the processing more than anything else...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com