Anyone a vegetarian?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montrealmom

Total Posts: 20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A lot of emotions going on here...
I absolutely agree - to each his own. Food is really a personal preference.
I am a vegetarian - not vegan. My main concern is cholesterol. My family has bad genes. My cholesterol was a bit over 300 (about 12 years ago). I became concerned with that and decided to cut cholesterol from my diet... since it comes form animal sources, that meant cutting out meat. It did drop almost 100 points. The rest of my family eats meat - I cook it for them.
I do have to watch my carbs (I am a MAJOR bread lover). I do occasionally eat cheese and other things with cholesterol, but rarely eat meat (maybe 5 or 10 times over the last 12 years). I don't miss it, but could totally see how someone would.
I do work out 6 days a week (most weeks) and have lost 20 lbs.
I think it is all about finding what works best for you
Very Happy
Good luck in your journey.
Privateeye97

Total Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steffeysue wrote:
Ooops!

You did it again. You could have just stopped with I like it this way, but you had to go on and tell how you don't miss it and it is gross to you!!

So, why do you do that? I don't get it!

Listen I don't like the thought of myself consuming it, I do not find it gross when other people do it. You are impossible. I don't care what you do, I don't think it is gross if you do it. I only think its gross for myself to partake in it.

So what if I say I don't miss it?
sharingweight

Total Posts: 60

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a vegetarian for the most part, but I do eat chicken. I am not fat, but I have a tendency to eat cookies over fruit, which is my reason for being here. My parents call me fat, because I choose cookies over fruit, but at the same time my friends call me anorexically skinny, because when I'm w/them I eat very little.

My point is, vegetarians can be skinny or they can be fat. It depends on whether they choose cookies over fruit AND whether they eat very little or a lot. You could be a vegetarian who weighs 300 pounds, because you eat gargantuan portions.

As long as you limit your portion sizes, there is no need to switch to vegetarian or vegan, although you should have plenty of vegetables in your diet.

Good luck!

P.
xxbadkitty666

Total Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa what's with all the religious squabble here!

All that aside, I have been a vegetarian since I was thirteen (so 6 going on 7 years now). At first it was hard, because I ate a bunch of carbs and had limited access to meat-free protein and lots of vegetables, simply becuse I wasn't the one doing the shopping, and we were poor, so carbs were cheap! So I *gained* a lot of weight at first. Then over the years I learned to eat more vegetables and cut down on the massive amount of carbs (until f course I hit seior year of highscholl and well, that's why i'm here!)

So you just need to make sure you know what you can and are WILLING to eat before you go veg. There are ups and downs, but just like any other easting style life-change, if you know how to keep the balance and manage calories, fat, fiber, and protein, you'll be just fine.

Dont trade what you want most for what you want at the moment.

agee309

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been vegetarian for 4 years now and vegan for about 6 months and I have never had any problems with it. I find that I can get enough protein from vegetables and the only supplement I need to take is B12.
I agree with each to his/her own and eating healthy rather than any specific diet. I went vegetarian initially for the animals as I believe that we shouldn't kill animals for our own purpose when there are easy and just as convenient options around. In terms of weight loss, when I ate meat, I found I had trouble stopping myself from eating burgers and hotdogs but on a veggie diet, junk food no longer has the appeal it used to.
I would definately suggest people go on a mostly vegetarian diet but I agree that it has to be done right, increasing fruit and vegetable intake and watching the amount of carbs you eat. I also think that people should research very carefully about what nutrients vegetables have and what they should eat to get enough BEFORE entering a vegetarian diet (something that one of my friends failed to do and cause a minor B12 defiency but once find out what she did wrong, she corrected it and lost a lot of weight as well has getting more energy).
Give it a go, if you think it might be good for you, and see what happens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com