Elliptical vs running...     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fink_13

Total Posts: 16

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Elliptical vs running... Reply with quote

i used to run quite a bit, but now that the weather is getting colder i have moved my workouts indoors and am using the elliptical. After running outside it is hard for me to run on a treadmill. (I hear that is pretty normal for runners) I don't feel like I am getting anything out of the elliptical and I have been gaining weight. It says I burn like 600 calories, butthe scale s not shouwing that. Does anyone have any knowledge abotu the elliptical? Have you had luck with the elliptical vs running. Any thoughts woud be very helpful. Thanks!
smiley774

Total Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run on a daily basis, but because of medical issues I stopped. I've started up again, and I only use the treadmill. I had a very hard time running on the treadmill at first, but now I can't imagine running outside. Its too hard on my joints. It wont hurt me as much as pavement and I like setting a specific pace.

I've used the elliptical a lot, and its only good for burning calories. If your trying to maintain your muscle tone I would recommend using weights if you are not using them or using a different cardio machine.
gcamplejohn

Total Posts: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elliptical is great. I use it just about every day
L8LyI8

Total Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: elliptical vs. running Reply with quote

I am a personal trainer and I usually encourage my clients to use the treadmill as their primary cardio routine if they can (barring joint problems or anything else that would make it unsafe). The calorie counters on all cardio machines should not be taken as an absolute measurement (or even relative in some cases). Its just an estimate.
I don't like training someone who is using the elliptical because they can make it look like they are working hard when they aren't. Bottom line: if you increase the resistance and incline on your elliptical to the point where you feel like you are working as hard as you would be if you were running, you will probably burn about the same number of calories. Usually I tell people to use the 3-5 word rule, if I approached you while you were on the elliptical and you could say more than 5 words without being out of breath you are not working hard enough. If you can't even say, "How's it going?", you are working too hard. Oprah says you should be able to talk but not sing.
In the end, running is the best for weight loss, but running is not the best exercise for everyone and there are many reasons to not do it. The elliptical can be very effective as long as you do it right and for enough time. You should always ask your doctor what she/he thinks before you work out! I like variety---the more different types of exercise you do, the better. The real answer is that different things work for different people. Good luck!
Diet Diva

Total Posts: 26

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: the eliptical is a liar! Reply with quote

My personal trainer told me the eliptical tells you how many calories you are burining as if you are a football player in college. Stick to the treadmill. If you want to work your glutes increase the incline! Running will also help flatten your tummy and help your ab muscles show through!

Last edited by Diet Diva on Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
forgetful_katrina

Total Posts: 90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Here are a few articles I found on the subject Reply with quote

"Researchers at the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse, compared the NordicTrack Ellipse elliptical trainer against a motorized treadmill, a stairstepper, and a cycle ergometer to see how the Ellipse compared with other modes of exercise. The study revealed no significant difference in oxygen consumption, heart rate, and calorie expenditure between treadmill running and the Ellipse. Both the treadmill and Ellipse provided the test subjects with a superior workout over the stairstepper and cycle ergometer.

The University of Wisconsin's study also revealed that the Ellipse produced impact forces similar to those of walking, while treadmill running topped the list in greatest amount of impact compared to the other activities. Lead researcher John Porcari explains, "Since the ground reaction forces on the Ellipse were less than half of those during treadmill running, this type of motion may provide a workout similar in intensity, but with less chance for orthopedic injury."

The article can be found at http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/equipment/elliptical.htm

Another article about treadmill vs elliptical says:

"One obvious point that is in favor of treadmills is that it provides a better training experience for a dedicated runner/jogger than an elliptical trainer. If you are training for a marathon or even a 10k, and you don't want to go outdoors too often during the months, you are certainly better off with a quality treadmill.

That being said, if you are looking for a quality cardiovascular workout with the maximum amount of efficiency, you will not be able to overlook the elliptical machine. Most elliptical trainers give you a total body workout if you have dual action handlebars for your arms and foot pedals for your legs, whereas treadmills focus more on your lower body as they simulate the jogging experience. What is even more interesting, according to recent studies, is that the lack of impact on the joints allows the user to burn roughly the same amount of calories as treadmills with the impression of putting CONSIDERABLY less effort."

That article can be found at: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisegear/a/treadelliptical.htm

forgetful_katrina

Total Posts: 90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Here's one about running Reply with quote

inside on a treadmill vs outside

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/treadincline.htm

Stormy Moon

Total Posts: 686

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to run inside. If I run outside I am always worrying about the terrain and falling and I can't seem to get my speed up as fast as I can on the treadmill. I use an elliptical too but my major workout is the treadmill, I feel the same way, that I'm not getting as good of a workout on it. Laughing

XO
Kasssy

Total Posts: 156

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh,Oh I love this thread. keep it going. I'm learning more about running. Smile
spookie149

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, I find running to be a better cardio workout. The elliptical helps develop noticeably toned leg musclemore than my running does. But that's just my body. As a long-distance runner I can't stand the treadmill. Razz
Kasssy

Total Posts: 156

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest JUMPING ROPE Smile It's good for your overall muscles.. from your arms, wrist, muscles on your legs, your leg power, effort ..etc Razz
Spike99

Total Posts: 201

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I "used to" jog every other night. Nice short 2.0 to 2.5 miles. It gets my cardio going and when I get home, my T-Shirt is just starting to get wet. I tried jogging every night but found it too hard on my knees. Once my knees, ankles and hips became too sore, I didn't feel like doing other exercises the next night. Thus, the "gain" from jogging was creating too much negative in other areas. My jogging was then replaced with TM sessions.

Twice a day, I do the Tread Mill. Yes, twice a day. For me, I do 45 minutes at 5% incline at 3.2 mph "speed walk". Tried to perform 3.4 mph but found it was too fast - for my short lets. To increase cardio and improver upper body muscles, I also use hand weights at the same time. Yes. At the same time. I put 3 lbs hand weights in each hand and while speed walking on the TM, I wave my arms - from my hips to my lower chin. And at the same time, I "stand proud" (like a soilder) - with my stomach pulled in. I do this for a 45 minute session and believe you me, its much better then a 2.0-2.5 mile jog. And the best part of it, my leg joints don't hurt afterwards.

Under these TM conditions (while watch TV at the same time), I'm not too sure how it would compare to simple jogging - from an extra fat burning perspective. I can tell you that from a "work out" perspective, my custom TM work-outs for 45 minutes soaks my T-shirt - each and every time. And if wondering, I do 2.8 mph with 4 lbs hand weights - for my arm muscle build sessions as well. This combo works for me as well..

Hope this helps as well..

stown

Total Posts: 297

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an elliptical and I love it! If the resistance is set just right I know I'm getting a good workout. I also have a membership with a local gym. I don't feel cardio is the only way. At least I'm speaking for myself. Wink

Good luck and I hope you find what will work for you.

Sandy Very Happy

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
ollieseh

Total Posts: 264

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trainer at the gym has me doing a random workout on the treadmill on various levels. It randomly changes the incline so that my heartrate goes up and then recovers and then it goes up again. I think this has been really effective for me. Also, I get to set the speed. I can speed it up and back it off when necessary.

I also use the random setting on the elliptical and it increases and decreases the intensity automatically. I find doing this helps me to get a better workout on both machines. I increase the level everyother week to keep the workout fairly aggressive for me. I use to hate the elliptical - its amazing how things change Very Happy

This cardio combined with strength training really helps to keep things switched up for me!!

Patty -
"Seeds of discouragement cannot grow in a grateful heart."
123patrickc

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a freshman cross country athlete at Christopher Newport University and run 80 to 90 miles a week. We have a morning workout which is an easy 4 mile run, followed by an afternoon workout which is anywhere from 7 to 14 miles total, speed-work, hill repeats, tempo run, and long run once a week. A few days ago I fell while on my morning run and busted the hell out of my right knee. I have some tendonitis in it now and had to do my morning workout on the Eliptical.
I hate the Elliptical more than anything in the world. If you can't run, its the one machine other than the treadmill that simulates running the closest. Even treadmills are not exact replicas of running though. When your foot hits the belt, the belt pulls it back instead of your leg. You don't end up pulling your body foward, like you would if you were really running. You basically cut out half the work, because you only need to pick up your foot and put it back down. The elliptical is also kind of like standing on a bike and peddaling. You only need to push down on the foot-pad thingys.

Ugh, don't take your bodies for granted. I would kill to be able to run right now. Instead of doing the scheduled 9X1000 meter workout outside in a beautiful hilly field, I'll be stuck in a gym listening to obnoxious daytime tv.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Under 25 Pounds to Lose Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com