CAN'T STOP GAINING!!!! Please help!!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fink_13

Total Posts: 16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: CAN'T STOP GAINING!!!! Please help!! Reply with quote

It seems like I am trying harder than ever to lose weight and I can't stop gaining weight! A few months ago (may) I was down to 128. Last month, I was a 136 and now all of a sudden I am working much harder and I am around 145. Someone please help me, what can I do. I am freaking out!
LesMoo

Total Posts: 797

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need some more information. What are you doing exactly?

Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you started any medications in the last while (especially hormone or corticosteroid meds or certain psychiatric drugs)?

Are you working out a lot?

Have you changed your eating/activity patterns?

Are you actually much bigger in size, or just on your scale?

Something has to have changed for this to happen. We need more details to try and answer your question.

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
fink_13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been doing much of anythign different, no new medication or anything. I workout abour 4 times a week, I eat pretty normal I think. I have maybe been consuming a few more carbs than normal, but they are ALWAYS complex carbs (whole wheat...I am pretty psycho about that.) For example..yesterday I ate and egg and low carb whole wheat toast w/spray butter for breakfast, I has a chicken salad with very little dressing for lunch, then before I went to the gym Ihad a 1/2 piece of peanut butter toast a slice of a peach. After the gym I went with my fiance to Ruby Tuesday and had only Salad bar avoiding the things I KNOW are junk on the salad bar. At the gym I lifted arms pretty heavy, I did v-sits and a ball workout for abs and did the aelliptical for 50 minutes.
fink_13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I forgot the most important part. When I work up I was 141 After work I was 151...what is the world is going on?? This mornign I was 147. I know I shoudn't weigh myself like that, but I am jsut trying to track whatis going on right now. None of my clothes fit and it is very fraustrating. I have gained 20 pounds in three months. Is that even possible?? i went from a size 4 to a striong 10
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many calories are you getting?????? You are doing a lot of work and you don't seem to be getting much food, from your description. Your description of your workout with heavy arms suggests that you might be overtraining.

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
fink_13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am eatting anywhere from 1300-1800 calories depending onthe day which is where I am supposed to be I think....
Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, 10 pounds in one day sounds like water retention. Are you getting enough water (just plain, old fashioned water, not fancy sport drinks, coffee, etc.) in your day? There's no way you can gain 10 pounds of fat in a day, since it takes about 3500 calories to put on one pound of fat. I know I can put on 5 pounds over a day from water if I'm not careful, and 10 pounds at certain times in my hormonal cycle. The cure is to take in more water (sounds contradictory, but it's true).

If you're worried about the weight gain overall and can't identify a cause, it's time to seek professional help--that means make an appointment with your doctor! Unexplained weight gain *can* be an indicator of several medical conditions, which are generally treatable. Your doctor may also be able to help identify a behaviour that you're not aware of that's causing the gain. Instead of working yourself into knots panicking over this, take action and get the answers you need.

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
fink_13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I go to the doctor pretty regularly because I have lyme disease and have had it for several years. I am not sure what has triggered this all but they tried to put me on thyroid medicine and I started gaining weight like crazy!! They also tried vitamin b-12 shots at the same time. All of a sudden I started gaining weight which is crazy because these are both supposed to make you lose weight. I was also exhausted all the time. I jsut slept whenever I got the chance which is completlely not like me. Anyways, I got off of both of them, and feel a ton better, but the weight is sticking. I figured some of it is water weight...it is that time, but I am drinking tons of good old fashion water.
lucester

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: gaining weight throughout the day Reply with quote

if you are gaining weight through the day, its cause you are slightly dehydrated when you wake up. As you become more hydrated you will put on a few pounds (this is good)
CaptainCabo

Total Posts: 151

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fink_13 wrote:
Yes, I go to the doctor pretty regularly because I have lyme disease and have had it for several years. I am not sure what has triggered this all but they tried to put me on thyroid medicine and I started gaining weight like crazy!! They also tried vitamin b-12 shots at the same time. All of a sudden I started gaining weight which is crazy because these are both supposed to make you lose weight. I was also exhausted all the time. I jsut slept whenever I got the chance which is completlely not like me. Anyways, I got off of both of them, and feel a ton better, but the weight is sticking. I figured some of it is water weight...it is that time, but I am drinking tons of good old fashion water.

I've read your story and I first thought you were probably gaining weight due to medication...steroids (not the steroids for muscles). I don't think it is water retention.....it has to something else. I suggest you see the doctor again and find out what is causing your weight gain. The thyroid medicine will screw around with your metabolism so I think that maybe the culprit. Be patient and stick with your diet and continue to eat clean. Your workout seems balanced with resistance training and cardio so I believe your workout is just fine. Your caloric intake is a bit low, 1300 calories is way to low and I suggest you should consume at least 1600-2000 calories per day because afterall, you are quite active. also increase your protein intake...physically active people need that extra protein to maintain that lean muscle. Again be patient, I'm pretty sure the thyroid medication you were taking was causing the weight gain. In no time you'll be down to your normal self. Good luck.
fink_13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice!! That actually really helps a lot. I have a doctor check up in a few weeks and I will bring it up to him too. I thought it migt have something to do with the thyroid medicine and that my body would kind of level out here in a little bit. Thanks again!!
CaptainCabo

Total Posts: 151

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fink_13 wrote:
Thanks for your advice!! That actually really helps a lot. I have a doctor check up in a few weeks and I will bring it up to him too. I thought it migt have something to do with the thyroid medicine and that my body would kind of level out here in a little bit. Thanks again!!

Please let us know what your doctor said. I'm curious if your thyroid medication was the cause of your weight gain.
fink_13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately will let you know.
tomater

Total Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through something very similar to you a few years ago. For me it was because I had an unusually late growth spurt. At the age of 21 I grew 2.5 inches. I put on weight like any normal kid going through puberty. I was exercising and eating healthy, but my body needed to put on pounds so it could grow a little taller. I don't know how old you are, but I would say if you are much older than 21 it probably isn't likely this is your problem. The doctor told me it was unusual, but not unheard of for women around my age. There is always a quick way to find out though. Measure yourself. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Under 25 Pounds to Lose Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com