Action Plan Ideas     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasmine17

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Action Plan Ideas Reply with quote

Hi All. I'm new to diet.com, and am looking foward to a new approach to eating. I think that I am already aware of the emotions that are triggering me to eat, which seem to be virtually all emotions. Last week, 1) I overate at lunch because I was stressed about work, 2) went out to eat even though I wasn't hungry because I was bored 3) ordered too much Italian take-out because I wanted to celebrate, etc, etc. Would you share some action plan ideas that work for you when coping with emotions. (I can intellectually come up some ideas, but would like to hear those that others have had some success with.) Thanks!!
DrDiet
Site Admin

Total Posts: 4945

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to diet.com!

The key is to develop your action plan ideas when you're not in the midst of feeling the emotions that are causing you to eat.

Here are some action plans that help my patients:

When they're stressed, they may journal their thoughts (which means you need to carry a pocket size journal with you at all times), talk it out with someone they trust or go for a walk.

When they're bored, they may log onto an internet chat group, call a friend, write a letter to a friend or take a walk with a buddy which could be a work colleague, your spouse, neighbor or even your dog.

When feeling elated and wanting to celebrate, they may call family or friends to spread the good news or treat themselves to something they enjoy such as going to a spa or renting a funny movie or scheduling a date with a special friend.

The key is to develop an action plan that works for you.

What action plan have you tried so far?
jasmine17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Action Plan Reply with quote

This weekend, I wanted to overeat on several occasions just because of a general feeling that I deserved to eat what I wanted and did not want to deprive myself...I can't come up with any more specific emotions other than that.
Rather than trying to analyze why I wanted to eat, I decided to just focus on whether I was feeling physical hunger. If my stomach did not feel hunger, I postponed eating. I found that by postponing the urge to eat, the urge would pass. Conversely, I found it was important to listen to my stomach when it was giving me signs of hunger. If I ignored my hunger for too long a period of time, it increased my urge to overeat when I finally was able to eat something. To deal with this, I purchased some luna bars to keep with me in case I felt physical hunger before I could eat a meal.
Tomorrow, I will go back to work....this is when I do most eating because I feel stressed. My action plan is to take a walk to a convenience store several blocks from the office to get a diet coke or coffee if I feel too stressed during the day. If I want to overeat when I get home, I have a yoga tape that I am going to do.
jasmine17

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate:
I bought a three-tape set by Kathy Smith called "Ultimate Yoga" Each tape is a different level...I usually do the beginner yoga tape.
Thanks for the communication..I'm still struggling with the emotional eating...didn't do so well today. I think the holidays will be hard.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Redflower

Total Posts: 29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jasmine,

I totally relate to the emotional eating during the holidays. I'm such a people pleaser, too, so when ever someone says "oh have one! I made chrsitmas cookies" I have such a hard time saying no. Argh! How are you doing with the holidays so far?

Jane Smile
gmn5153

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found this site very interesting-lots of info
mariahc

Total Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Emotional eating Reply with quote

I really blew it last night. After a stupid fight with my husband I found some leftover christmas candy and ate a lot of it. Mindless eating that I didn't even enjoy. I woke up in the middle of the night and started thinking. I teach a stop smoking class and I always tell people to "stay awake" during their urges to smoke. Meaning be aware of everything, recognize that the discomfort they feel is their body repairing itself. And, if they do slip don't do it mindlessly. Be completly aware of why they are doing it and what does it feel like. I realized that I need to take my own advice about food. The other thing I realized was that I didn't allow myself to even enjoy the chocolate, I just powered it down. There is a sense that I shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it. I don't know if I will actually learn anything from all this. I hope I will. I just felt like it was important for me to share it - as embarassing as it is to share it with strangers. Just trying to "stay awake".
SierraSunShyn

Total Posts: 101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariah.....

You are inspiration by having the courage to share it. And there is a lesson in there for all of us. I like what you said about the staying awake. When I get stressed and start eating, I tone out to what I am doing. Sort of a dissassociation of sorts. As you already know, seeing yoru pattern is the first step at correcting it. Next time, go to the chocolates and fill the package with water right away....make them uneatable and throw them out instead of eating them. I usually can't believe i did it, but at least i didnt eat them. The other trick is to just give them away the next day when you know you were tempted. Cleanse your house of the temptation.

I am proud of you Mariah, good luck on your next challenge.

Sierra aka Cheryl
mariahc

Total Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheryl - that is so funnyinteresting! When my smokers are tempted enough to buy a pack of cigarettes I tell them to take them outside and hose them down. Get rid of them in the most dramatic way possible. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.
Mariah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com